What's a good Leica model for a new user to aim at?

ianpiper

I have always wanted to own a Leica. I may shortly be in a position to put some funds into getting one,

though I am not in the market for a new one. I have owned a number of SLR film cameras in the past

(Olympus and Canon) and a few digital cameras (and have become a little disenchanted with these).

What recommendations would you offer to someone in my position as to the best way to get into owning

and using a Leica? I like the look of the M series (if that's the right term) and am not really looking to buy a

really old one. I nearly bid for a M4-2 but was put off by some discussion on a web forum about problems

with this model. So any advice about models to avoid would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

--

A used M6 and a 50 or a 35.

But first, you've got to be absolutely sure that you like shooting with rangefinders. Not al SLR people are RF people, and vice versa.

If you haven't taken a Leica on a test drive, try to do so before sinking your money into an expensive system that may not be what you're looking for.

I started with a M6TTL and 50/2 summicron. Great combination. Some prefer a 35, and in

fact the lens that sits all the time on my M6 now is a 35/1.4 summilux. Have a look

through your SLR finder with 50 and 35 settings on a zoom or prime lenses and check out

which view you prefer.

In terms of buying, different models have different viewfinder magnifications. If you like

shooting longer focal lengths (ie 50-90, or even 135), then buy a body with a high mag eg

0.85 M6 or a M3 (0.9); these aren't great though if you wear specs. If you wear specs, or

prefer shorter focal lengths, either buy a 0.72 or a 0.58. If you like really short focal

lengths, get the 0.58. Most people are happy with the standard M6 0.72 as this seems a

pretty good compromise for most people.

Good luck

Charlie

Ian, I'll add to the chorus telling you to get a M6 with 50 or 35 Summicron. I don't recommend Ebay to someone new to Leica. There's too much out there trying to fool you on the condition of the equipment. In the US, I suggest you buy from reliable dealers, KEH - Photovillage - Tamarkin, etc., or from photonet forum members. -- Sid

Hmmm, I would recommend the M6ttl but I'd be a hypocrite because I sold my M6ttl prefering my M3 instead. I really would rather use the M3 with a 50mm summicron than the M6 because of the viewfinder. My second favorite lens is the 90mm elmarit and the M3 does great with this focal lenght too. The only problem is that it doesn't have framelines for anything below 50mm and mine needed a CLA when I bought it, but after the CLA it has been a pleasure to use and has worked great.

If my modest contribution to this thread can help you in any way... Well, I did it last summer. Like you, I had always wanted to have one. In june of the last year, I found a kit in a shop : at the price of a new M7 body, they were selling an M6 ttl with a 50mm summicron, both new in box. I had about exactly that amount on my bank account. I thought of it for about two days, and finally, I decided to stop thinking, and I went to buy it. Actually, I'm just a kind of amateur in photography, and still have a lot to learn. People around me tried to make me understand that it was a mistake, for many reasons. But the truth is that I don't regret it at all, and the more I have it and use it, the happier I am. I like the camera a lot, I like using it a lot, I like the photographs I took with it a lot... Now I carry it with me almost everywhere, and I shoot many kinds of pictures. From one roll to another, I improve my skills, and the results improve as well. That's just great ! So I can't be sure if it will be the same for you, but the only way to know it is to try. I only can agree with what has been said by Bill Mitchell and many others, M6 + 50mm f2 is a great combination to start with.

Thanks to everyone here on the forum, where I learnt a lot by reading all kinds of threads.

Goulven

You have some very good answers here. All I'd add is that if your budget won't allow for an

M6 with a "real" Leica lens, you could choose between an older M (no meter) with the Leica

lens or the M6 with one of the very good NEW CV lenses. This will depend on how

important it is to you to have a built in lightmeter (as on the M6). Many people feel the

new CV lenses are as good as the Leica lenses of the recent past.

I too suggest M6TTL + 50mm f2 or f1.4. I have 500mm f1.4 sometimes noctilux 50mm f1.0 would be cool, but I ever quit felt the need for it. thus I'm very happy with my M6-TTL + 50mm f1.4. I also have the MP and 35mm f2.0, but to be honest, I perfer M6TT over MP and 50mm over 35mm.

No doubt, Ian, you are going to hear as many responses to this question as there are Leica

photographers to answer. I started with a Leica kit including an M3 single stroke with a

50mm DR Summicron, and 90mm and 135mm Leica lenses of early vintage. I still own and

use them frequently (except I don't use the 135 too often). If I had it to do over again, I

would do it slightly differently: I would have purchased an M2 (because it's good enough)

and equipped it with the best 35, 50 and 90 I could afford. That's exactly what I did and

that is my Leica shooting kit I use every day. The 135mm lens is very seldom used but,

because I've never sold Leica gear, I still own it. You'll never be sorry you purchased Leica

photo equipment. It's simply the best there is.

M6 and a 50 is the way to go, but try estimating exposure before raising the camera to your eye. I learned on an M4-P, exposing according to the film box insert, then moved on to a incident meter.

Try not to get into the habit of tweaking exposure for every shot after you raise the camera to your eye, which is a temptation with the models that have meters. That's a recipe for missing the moment.

The M4-2 and a VC 35mm lens is a goodstarter. With the exception of the first

series off the production line in Midland (echos of the M8 in Portugal+

Germany?), the M4-2 is a really likeable Leica, and of really good quality.

Don't let anyone suggest otherwise. No overloading the VF with often unused

framelines in the M4-2, as occurred in the later models. Attach a VC-II meter

and a VC lens (35 mm classic f2.5) or a Summicron 35 and you will have a

great combination, which will do a lot for your photography (i.e., compell you

to think, rather than becoming an exposure automaton or a match needler).

And if you shoot B&W and can master the controls by feel, it will become part

of you.

You should be able to get a VC lens-equipped M4-2 for about 1000$, used

and in mint condition. Not a bad start in RF photographyand its creative

ethos, and a very Leica classic one. The M4-P is another good Leica (mainly

from Midland), but encumbered by 6 framelines. I've had (and still have, in

one case) both, and they are great. Unfortunately, older M2s and M3s in

respectable condition are becoming expensive, and starting to show

problems (e.g., VF integrity), notwithstanding their build excellence.

My primary working outfit is built around a M6 Classic and a 40mm/2.0 Summicron C. I have other lenses of focal lengths from 25mm to 500mm (w/Visoflex) and occasionally switch to the collapsible Summicron. However the 40mm is a good compromise between a standard focal length and a mild wide angle and it is one of the best buys with the Leitz name. You can possibly buy it plus a VC Skopar 25mm (or 90 Elmar if you prefer) for what you would pay for any other Leitz lens of equivalent speed.

Again, another boring answer. Used M6 and 50/2 Summicron. IF you don't like using rangefinders after all, sell it and you won't lose a cent. If you love it, then you're hooked onto the rangefinder and Leica thing and there is no escape from it ! It's like an incurable disease.....but a good disease...hehe.

Ian, have you had a Leica in your hands? Have you ever shot with a rangefinder? If not, just purchase a Canonet G-III QL17, or a Yashica GS, or a Konica S2. They'll cost you a fraction of a Leica and will allow you to try a rangefinder at a low price (often below $100). If you like these cameras, and if you have a penchant for meterless photography (that is, good eye to measure light), go for an M2 or M3. In case you like them and don't want to think up exposures, aim for an M6 or M6TTL, or even an M7 (should your budget allow it), and a 35mm lens. I started with an M6TTL and a 'cron 50, but I'd be a lot happier using a 35mm instead. In fact, shortly after I got my Konica Hexanon 35/f2, I put my 50mm lens away and use it seldom, in comparison with any of my other wides.

There you go... Have fun shopping!