What's a good Leica model for a new user to aim at?

ianpiper

Go against the flow and get a barnack IIIc and an elmar 5cm lens, stick some bw film in it, learn to read the light using the sunny 16 rule, and you will get some very satisfying results for a lot less than the m6+50mm suggested by many. Once you learn to trim the film, the barnack leicas are such a pleasure to use for available light shooting.

Respectfully,

Thomas

I have 3...In order of aquisition, 1st: IIIc/collapsible 50mm summicron, 2nd: M3/ 50mm DR, 3rd M4-2/ 40mm 'cron. By far the M4-2 is my fave paid $600 for the body, $200 for the 40mm.... I love this camera, the M3 is a backup now. Start with a screw mount, play around with the cheap and plentiful lenses, you can use them on your M later with adapters. I no longer take a meter with me when I shoot..... even at night, don't hamstring yourself, start slow, and learn the process inside out! That said, my next Leica will be a M6 classic!! lol!! Have a ton of fun

Ian,

Another vote for a Barnack Leica (the pre-M screwmount type). The screwmounts are excellent. If you have the time and patience (and it sounds like you have other cameras that you're familiar with for when you absolutely have to get the shot) and want something different to inspire you, then try a Barnack.

They are cheaper although they may need a CLA first (clean, lube and adjustment). Perhaps pick up a decent IIIC or IIIF from Sherry Krauter together with some a Voigtlander lens and a small light meter (perhaps the Sekonic L-308B). Have fun.

On the other hand, if you want instance gratification get an M6 ...

Check out www.cameraquest.com for buying tips for both the screwmount and M series Leicas.

Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...

Ian:

I only have the following to add:

1. Please note the recommendations to go to a reputable dealer. Don't go for ebay as a beginner (or maybe ever, unless you're very patient and know what to look for). As someone noted, Tamarkin, Popflash, Keh, B&H, or Photovillage are your best bet. Keep in mind that Leicas are highly refined instruments. If you buy one from Ebay, you don't really know what you're getting. Then you might have to take it for servicing. Let's say you save a few hundred bucks buying an M6 on ebay. Then you have to go get it serviced. There goes our savings. Place like Tamarkin and popflash give you a warranty as well. You don't get the discount you might get on ebay (and keep in mind some people pay too much on ebay, not less), but you know what you're getting and often get a warranty.

2. Try one out first if you can. Go into a shop and hold a couple of different leicas in your hand. Or borrow one. I find that they feel like a dream, but you may not feel the same way.

3. Unless you are experienced in photography without a meter or want to put the effort into developing that experience, go with a leica with a light meter (M4 or later).

4. Focus more on mechanics than on cosmetics. You can shave a few hundred dollars off the price if it has a little brassing or minor wear. But a beaten up camera might also be beaten up on the inside. Perhaps a LN- or an EX or EX+ by KEH standards.

5. I also echo the M6 and 50 summicron sentiment. It feels great. I recently bought an MP. It's much more expensive, and as good as the M6 is, you can feel the difference of the MP. They really got it right. The smooth, solid film advance lever, the solid rewind knob, the rangefinder that is less prone to flare than the m6. And besides, they just feel so solid and well-made. It's difficult to describe it in words. You have to pick it up and shoot with it for yourself to appreciate how great a camera it is. They just got it right. On the other hand, if you don't want to sink $2700 for a LN MP from Popflash or Tamarkin, go with the M6. Indeed I would recommend it if it's your first Leica. The M6 is a truly fine camera and I do not wish to part with mine. And your instincts about not getting something too old is a good one. If you develop into a Leica lover, you'll get to know what to look for and what you like and don't like. But for now, stick to the basics. If you have the money, get a good used M6 for $1200-1500 (depending upon where you buy it) and a good used late-model lens from a reputable dealer. Later, you can explore the older stuff.

6. As for lenses, what do you like to shoot? A lot of portraits? Landscapes? General street scenes/photojournalism? If you only own one lense, go with the 50 or possibly 35. Anything higher or lower is going to limit you too much, I believe. These two lenses, especially the 50, are more versatile. But it depends upon what you want to use it for.

7. Best recommendation: explore. You have limited funds, so be cautious and do your homework and try before you buy. But don't forget, photography is an art. Have fun with it. Splurge sometimes. Don't be afraid to buy something you love occasionally, even if it's not the most financially sensible. Have fun with it. As a beginner, be more cautious. But if you like your leica and begin using them regularly, try out different things. There is a solid group of dedicated leica lovers who have had years or decades of fun with Leicas. Have fun with your leica and you might end up like them. If not, you'll still have a great camera that you can use for decades and give to your children or grandchildren.

Good luck and enjoy.