Problems with unclosed url link

sknowles

Folks,

I couldn't find the forum for Photo.net Web problem (it was dropped?). The old problem where a

someone doesn't close a posting ending link (url with the <a href="...">name and no "</a>) makes the

rest of the thread a hyper link in some browsers. This was reported before and suggested to add a

check to the posting script (if only insert a useless </a> in the post if using the html formatting.

This occurred with http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00JTCj&tag= for the

post in photojournalism about Paparazzi: "Public places with reasonable expectation of privacy". The

code shows the error.

<div class="post">

<div class=poster><a href="/shared/community-member?user_id=2195116">Ronaldo R</a>

<a href="/member-status-icons">

</a>, jan 10, 2007; 07:43 p.m.</div>

<div class=message>From this article on the proposed paparazzi restrictions in the UK:

</p>

<< ...The PCC code provides that it is unacceptable to photograph people in

private places without their consent - this includes public places where there

is a reasonable expectation of privacy. The code also provides

against "harassment or persistent pursuit". >>

</p>

Public places with reasonable expectation of privacy? What's next? Street

curfews when a blue blood celebrity is in town?

</p>

Here's the artcle: </br>

<a

href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/monarchy/story/0,,1987235,00.html">www.guardian

.co.uk/monarchy/story/0,,1987235,00.html</div>

<div class=attachment align=center></div></div>

Note the last link ending the post does not have the </a> in the code, which isn't ended throughout

the thread. And adding a </a> in the start of a responses don't negate things, it all stays hyperlinked.

And simply saying, as some did before, that some browsers are more robust to this error isn't an

answer, when some browser are more W3C compliant and restrictive with errors, like Safari.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Scott,

I've found this elsewhere, too, and I've found that this is NOT an end user controllable problem. Occasionally there's a glitch in the photo.net software where regardless of the poster's intentions, the remaining thread is bold or link or whatever the photo.net interpreter got stuck on during it's acceptance and formatting of anyone's post submission.

Ad hoc solution? Merely submit a subsequent post with the closing </?> sign and it fixes it from there on in that thread ... until the nest time!

Glad to have you around. Share some pictures, eh? ;-)

Thanks for the resonse. In a way it is a user-end controllable problem. Just don't end with

a hyper link. Add a bit of text afterward. But once done, it's not fixeable by the user. Some

bulletin boards have a last chance edit mode, but I wouldn't necessarily converting to them

for this. I like the photo.net's style.

How about on the confirmation page. If you use html format notice about ending posts?

Just a thought. Really big, bright, blinking letters? Kidding.

Peter, sorry to say I added a Canon 5D recently along with a 4x5 camera, so the Minolta's

are sitting more often than in use. But I still like and use film for some uses. I've started

the newbie blogs for my two new systems, more impressions and thoughts than technical

stuff. But like all three types now.

Life, retired from one career and starting a new one (photography and small personal

business). Quite enjoyable, except being the boss, staff, and gopher is pushing things a

bit. Especially when one revolts.