Shooting Mode ?

daniel_cara_nova

There is no "usual" mode setting for me. The mode is determined by the subject, the

circumstances, and the way I want the image to look. All very variable.

If someone is 'usually' using a specific mode setting I would call that person a

snapshooter, not a photographer.

Well, although I'm not always a snap shooter, my camera is always set to AV mode unless I move it. I set the aperture to provide appropriate depth of field and watch the resulting shutter speed. If it's OK, I'm away; I'll use ISO to manage it if it isn't.

The other most used mode is Manual if AV can't get me what I want.

<p>In ambient light, or using flash for fill, usually P or Av. I usually shoot things that don't move (or at least aren't moving much when I shoot them) so aperture is typically more important to me than shutter speed. If flash is the main light source, usually P (if it's more of a snapshot) or M (if I want to control aperture; Av by default assumes flash is <em>not</em> the main light source, and there's a custom function which turns Av into a crippled version of M but if I want M I'll just pick M and have the non-crippled version).</p>

In constant light or with flash I'll use M. In varying light I'll use Av, since it's usually more important to control the aperture - either to pick the depth of field - including avoiding letting the camera stop down too far and thus cause unwanted diffraction, or ensure that the camera is using the fastest avalable shutter speed for the light when the photo is taken (i.e. shooting wide open). I'd have uses for an auto ISO M mode.

I think Mr. Smith has forgotten that all cameras were manual only for many years, and then we migrated to match needle metering before finally automatic exposure modes started to appear. Frankly, metering technique is as important as exposure mode - and perhaps the ability to pick the right exposure/metering target is a better marker of the difference between a snap shooter and a more serious photographer.

With longer lenses I usually shoot in Tv mode and sometimes adjust ISO up to 200 from 100.

With lenses shorter than 70mm I nearly always shoot in Av mode.

When I shoot flash indoors it is M mode. Never shoot in P or Green, and certainly never in the canned dummy modes.

Basically what Mark U said: M for flash, and Av for most everything else. I only switch to Tv when I intentionally want to blur motion, and to the appropriate idiot (oops, I mean Basic Zone) mode when handing the camera over to the fetching Mrs. Austin.

Question for Steve Dunn:

Just out of curiosity, what is the custom function that "turns Av into a crippled version of M"?

Most often used: Manual, Second most often used TV, Third most often AV. Other modes see minimal use.

Note I agree with the trend of the commnets already made: I use these modes because the criteria of the shot determines such, and for most of my photography, Manual is the most suitable mode for the situation, not because `Manual is just MY USUAL MODE.`

Regards WW

About 50 /50 manual and AV. Which one I choose depends on the situation. AV is very useful, because the aperture control becomes the depth of field control. Have to watch the shutter speed, though. But both AV and TV will under expose bright scenes and over expose dark ones, even when the incident light does not change. In this situation, you have to ride the exposure comp control. As long as the light is consistent, manual mode is the easiest and fastest to use - once you get the hang of it.

Phil

All three.

Mostly I use Av as I am thinking about DOF. Sometimes Tv if I am worried about shutter speed more. Manual I tend to use if the backlight is very variable, particularly indoors etc, I can then meter off something and not worry about if there is a window in the shot or the dragonfly is behind bright water rather than darker reeds etc.

Dear Ms Seay

Hello.

No.

Based upon your profile, the passion and sincerity in your eyes, and the quality and distinct form of your work, I did not think you were serious with the `P` comment.

In fact I thought the joke was quite funny and I giggled.

My response was merely literal, with no disrespect to you but to inform others who might not have `got it`: I have read serious errors of belief on these pages, as no doubt have you.

Moreover, (if it is of interest to you), whilst I have made previous comments directly in regard to your responses, I take no offence at your joke nor at the manner in which you clarified it and my comment to it was not meant to be offensive, merely literal.

One might find me verbose, pedantic, technical, impassionate, devoid of humour or tiresome my students, colleagues and staff have referred to me as much worse: but actually I am quietly humorous too and I too understand fun.

Regards :)

WW