Recommended SD cards for Leica M8

j_t3

Is there a preferred SD card or cards that are recommended for the M8?

I recenlty ordered one and would like to pick up a card before it comes in.

When Nikon's D200 came out, I remember Nikon had a list of recommended cards.

Many thanks in advance for any input.

A Happy and Healthy New Year to all.

Lexar and Sandisk are usually reliable. 80x should be fast enough, though you can go for 133x or even 266x (and a compatible high speed card reader) if you're one of those who can't wait the extra few minutes when downloading to a PC. Any Sandisk or Lexar card up to 2GB is supposed to be OK in the M8, but it's not clear if it supports <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/compact_flash_memory_cards.html#sdhc">SDHC</a> cards. Generally if it doesn't say it does, it doesn't. You can get 4GB SD cards, but the official specs for SD only go up to 2GB. SDHC is different and covers 4GB to 32GB.

<p>

I'm surprised Leica haven't branded a few with a red dot. I know Canon and HP have their own cards (which nobody buys). I'm sure Leica could charge double the going rate for a "Leica" SD card and still sell them.

Boris, I use a special formula mixed by Druid Getafix available from Magic Potions online. The formula is a secret, but you simply immerse your SD card with M8 images in the potion, and voila, your images acquire that <i>je ne sais qua</i> quality that prevents the Romans (who use Canons) from achieving a similar look.

Sorry for the probably OT answer, but I'd just grab something. Local supermarkets and electronics stores recently dumped Toshiba 1GB cards for 15 Euro. I have 2 of them (to be used with a slow as hell cheapo DSLR) and used one when I tested my lenses during a M8 presentation.

I assume if I could afford a M8, I'd still need some time to get used to it's firepower and after that "good" cards will be cheaper, so I'll get one or two for the rare occassion I shoot action, but having plenty of not that fast cheapos for a long vacation is a nice thing.

I have not had a problem with Sandisk (ultra II SD Plus I think) cards for my panasonic LX-1, but I would definately check out the list that leica published for the M8.

Sorry my post isn't on par with one of the lame jokes up above, very helpful.

On a slightly more serious level....Sandisk is pretty much the industry standard and their

fast (at least in terms of download speed - they probably won't clear the camera buffer any

more quickly) Extreme cards are now really affordable. If you're working in RAW buy a

bundle of 2 or 4 gb cards.

There are several cards on the list that no one tested that work perfectly fine on the M8 . Transcend 2gb and 4gb 150x cards. The SDHC don't seem too work. I have a Sansdisk ultra II 4gb here collecting dust . There is more info on the LUF board of members with cards that work and don't work. The Transcends do work fine though and that is what i use in both the DMR and M8. good place to get these is www.mydigitaldiscount.com or www.newegg.com I believe carries them also. BTW spend the money and get good cards , remember there your images and cards can fail. The Transcends have not failed me ever on both systems.

As I found with my LX-2, you can only use "vanilla" SD cards upto 2GB capacity. Anything over 2GB and you need the latest SDHC format, or the camera won't recognize it. I use a 4GB SDHC card in LX-2, because my 4GB Transcend 150x SD card won't work in it.

Not sure if this is true for M8.

Nels it would be the opposite for the M8 . it will take the normal 4gb cards like the transcend but not the SDHC. My Sandisk 4gb SD card came with a Mini card reader , which actually is very nice and thin. It will read both cards but the normal SD card readers won't read the SDHC. This is really a pain right now.Hopefully firmware on the M8 will change that and also really the industry at large get's ironed out. One of those transition periods right now

Sandisk cards are very reliable but they have backward compatibility issues with previous

generation readers. The Extreme 3 CFs wouldn't download at all with the previous

generation CF readers, but, strangely, would with earlier multi-format readers. It doesn't

help you with SDs but the new Firewire Extreme CF readers are very fast with Extreme 4

cards, they're also backward compatible with Extreme 3s and even with these noticeably

faster than USB readers. Readers don't cost very much and it makes sense to regularly

update them.

I generally don't use card readers, preferring to download my cards either on the field or at home to my 120GB Vosonic pocket drive and then back them up to one or more of my bigger hard drives when at home, before periodically deleting them from the pocket drive (if I need to have more free space on it). I usually carry about 30GB worth of MP3 on the Vosonic, and delete those files and folders at will in the field if I need more space, knowing that I can restore them once I get back home.

All format cards can be downloaded to my pocket drive, except the new *&$#ing SDHC cards.

I'd recommend the Lexar cards that now have a huge rebate until January 15. Sandisk's rebate program ended 12/31 (I got one of theirs as well). With rebate total with shipping for a 1 GB SD card will be under $30. I use sandisk and lexar interchangibly on my d200 so I think you'll probably be ok doing the same with a leica (unfortunately my leica only takes film). By the way, when recording at lower ISO I've found that Neofin Blue develops finer pixels than the other chemicals mentioned.