Clouded pictures

Since the renaissance (at least) artists have recognized that haze implies distance. Look at some of the impressionist (Turner, Whistler, Monet, etc.) paintings of London. In those days the pollution was extreme. Different locations and different weather patterns will produce different levels of haze, but there is almost always some.

Additional comments about haze. The attached photos of Yosemite valley offer an example. It is possible to reduce or eliminate the appearance of haze in Photoshop. If you have a scenic shot with no close up items, just reset the black point to the darkest part of the image. When those smokey shadows turn black, the appearance of haze disappears. When you have a shot with objects at various distances, you have to divide the picture up into different layers. You can reset the black point for each layer.

In the attached example, the upper left is the original scan and the lower right is my final image. In the lower left, I eliminated haze in all layers. This lacked the appearance of depth so I put some of the haze back.<div>00J53s-33883384.jpg.8c1ce17ce7fa9c6af27c09e478bd27e2.jpg</div>