Zeiss for Canon

graybrick

Wrong forum? I figure you guys know more about Zeiss than us Canonites...

I'm looking at a Carl Zeiss Jena 70-210 f/4.5-5.6 for Canon FD mount at what

seems to be a very reasonable price, and I am wondering if anyone has used

Zeiss lenses with (gasp!) Canon SLRs in the past, and your experiences with

them... thanks!

"and are of poor quality" Sorry - couldn't let this slip by - the CZJ lenses are generally anything but "poor quality" optically. They were made to the same formulae and standards as the pre-Soviet era lenses. The Tessar's,Flektogon's and Sonnar's in particular are superb.

Rollei offered a number of CZJ lenses on the TLR and on the SL-66. I had a 120 S-Planar CZJ for my SL-66's which was my main medium tele. I used it for fashion for two retail chains and shot thousands of rolls of 120 with it over the years. Many days I would shoot 75 rolls and do that several days a week. Multiply this kind of use over twenty five years and you get a good idea of how much film was shot with this lens. The optical quality was spectacular and never was there a mechanical issue. Funny bu tI had a couple of components break in the West German Zeiss lenses but not the East. The lens was marked Opton which was the name they used due to the CZ lawsuit over the use of the name. I was told the CZJ lenses were all Optons on the Rolleis.