diagonal fisheye?

jlemire

Sigma offers a 15mm F2.8 diagonal fisheye lens. What is a "diagonal" fisheye?

Are there "non-diagonal" fisheyes? If so, which are better lenses?

I've never owned a fisheye lens, but was looking for a superwide to use for my

new Pentax K100 and I thought this lens would also be fun to use on my film

cameras as well. Any comments on this type of lens? Thanks.

Fisheyelenses used to come with 2 different image circles. There are those which project only a circular image in the center of your 35mm frame and others with larger imagecirclea which cover the whole film format just like any other focal length. - These are the diagonal ones.

Diagonal fisheye lens has its top and bottom of the circular image chopped off by the 35mm rectencular frame. They normaly are 15-17mm range. Regular fisheye are ~8mm and has an full circular image with-in the rectencular frame. May be it is called this way because it has a fisheye circle left to right and diagonally but not up and down.

Jim, you got me right. - Sorry for maybe complicated / hard to understand descriptions, I'm no native typist.

BTW as you mention K100D: Why don't you go for the 14mm Pentax DA lens? - According to some reviews it might be bang for the buck. I'm saveing to get one. Currently I use a Sigma 14mm f3.5 lens (older manual focus version) but don't like it's performance. It should at least have a additional hood for use on digital, because it is very sensitive for light sources outside the croped image. - The Cosina Voigtlander 15mm on my old rangefinders performs better. AFAIK only Nikon build a real circular fisheye for their DSLRs. I also doubt if de-fishing software is the right thing to use.

It looks like just a marketing word to me. I looked it up on Sigma's website, and they call it a "diagonal fisheye" there as well, but don't ever explain what a "diagonal fisheye" is. Only that's not a standard term used to describe fisheye (or regular) lenses, and I have no clue what a "non-diaognal" fisheye lens would be. Usually, they use it when stating angle of view, which measured diagonally to make it sound more impressive. Makes me wonder if someone didn't just get the wrong word in the blurb.