Operation of the Paterson Proofer

Well, I now have one of these things and its apparently too complex for me to

run, or there is something missing.

I see the slot for the paper. I see no slots for the film. Are they cleverly

hidden or is there a piece I don't have?

I have some Saunders proofers too, with the same problem. I just plain don't

see any slots for the film. As my film is in 6 neg strips, it is not too

useful, but even then....

Look on the underside of the glass (the side that goes against the paper and supporting foam). Run a fingernail over it, and you should detect the plastic negative holders that form pockets into which you slip the perforated edge of a strip of negatives. If it has been kept with the glass locked down onto the foam the pockets may need to be teased open gently with a suitable sharp implement. It shold be reasonably obvious which side of the pocket is supposed to open and which is glued to the glass.

I found those proofers needed too much negative handling and took too long when doing

lots of contacts so I peeled the mask off the glass and used Goof Off to clean up the mess.

Now I just lay my clear Print File neg sleeves on the paper and use the glass to hold if flat.

I use the 35 exposure Print Files holding 7 strips of 5 frames so I can print on 8x10.

I appreciate the quick response. Normally, I use a couple of pieces of plate glass, hinged by elect tape. Current one is over 40 yrs old. But once in a while I get a lot of film (usually TMX 100) that refuses to play the game so...

Anyway, I found the slots, loaded the film and it works.

Amazing.

Thanks again.