If you could only use one BW film ...

aaron_benner

Whenever I find a film scanner I like (and can afford) I suppose I will settle for one or another of the color negative films unless I have a compulsion toward B&W at that time. Hypothetically this is a futile question since we don't have any way of knowing what will remain if they start disappearing, one at a time! However, it will all depend on the individual photographer's inclinations. I really don't know why I expatiate on questions such as this, but probably to keep my arthritic hands and synapses from freezing up!

Currently I use just one B&W film because my darkroom is in storage. I use Kodak BW 400CN in my Leica M2 for snapshots. The prints from my lab are quite good and come with a photo CD. Exposure latitude is good enough to leave the lightmeter at home. But someday my darkroom will be opened again and then I will use the successors of Agfapan and Rodinal in my Hasselblads...

Ulrik

Kodak Professional BW400CN for me, because of its creamy tonality, its latitude and its virtual absence of grain. I am not especially a Kodak fan but this is a superb emulsion.

I previously used Ilford XP2 and would happily use it again if Kodak BW400CN is withdrawn from sale like my previous Kodak favourites - Kodachrome 25 and Ektar 25/100/1000.