Canon Digital 30D or 5D for second camera

cjtj50

Cynthia, I'm in the same boat as you. A 20D owner looking for something new. I've opted for the 5D as I hear so many wonderul things about and I shoot mostly landscapes and portraits. I'm not sure how good it is for sports cause it offers 3 fps. For wildlife, you're going to need longer lenses. Hope this helps.

I love my 5d. The high ISO performance is superb, and I like full frame. I use the 24-105 f/4

L most of the time. But the 30D would keep your brain in one place, in that the frames

match. The 5d would become your primary camera, and over time you'd probably move

toware all full frame. Maybe your brain wouldn't hurt too much since you use zooms.

<p>As others have pointed out, the 5D is a fantastic camera, but you'll have to adjust to having a different field of view on your two bodies. It will make your 24-105 reach much wider, but will also limit the reach of your 70-200. You say you shoot wildlife; that usually calls for a long lens, and you may find that while the 70-200 is adequate on a 20D, it's nowhere near long enough on a 5D.</p>

The imaging capability of the 30D is not really any different than your 20D. The upgrades it has over your 20D are not worth buying.

The 5D however is a completely different camera since it is full frame. In your case the 5D would not be a "second" camera, it would definitely be the "first", with your 20D being second.

If you want to be able to shoot truly wideangle images then the 5D is a huge plus having both hi-res and no crop factor. The 20D on the other hand is excellent for sports and distant subjects where it acts like a 1.6x converter on your telephoto lenses making what pixels it has go much further.

You might also notice that the 5D costs about 3 times as much as the 30D.

"I SHOOT SPORTS, PORTRAITS, LANDSCAPE AND SOMETIMES WILDLIFE"

Sports 20/30D, Portraits either, lanscape 5D, Wildlife 20/30D. Doesn't seem to me that you need a new camera. (2nd Camera) Invest in a wide angle lens like the 17-40L, or the Tokina 12-24. Why spend the money on a second body when the one you have is capable of doing what you want/need it to do?

If you feel the need for another camera maybe get the XTi and with the money you save get a 17-40mm lens. I'm going to make do with my 20D until I really feel the need for another camera. At that point it will most probably be the 5D (or 40D) or it's replacement if I can hold out long enough. Good luck.<div>00Ib8h-33213584.JPG.b4633438f59dcaaf6735ff4c63c8f88a.JPG</div>

I have a 30D for shooting soccer, car racing, surfing, wildlife etc at 5fps which is sufficient. RAW settings are sufficient for landscapes and portraits. The 30D also has advantage with onboard flash for 'minor' infill without having to carry extra gear. The 1D N offers 8fps (I think) if fps is your main aim, BUT fps is only as good as camera 'quality' settings and the speed of the compact card it's reading to otherwise you get onboard buffer build up. The 5D disadvantage is mainly with lower fps rate, no onboard flash for minor infill and doesn't accept EF-S lenses. However, the 5D advantage is in it's full frame quality, ISO, etc etc. I've managed to work okay with a 30D and can afford a 5D but it all depends on my primary need - I 'want' a 5D but I don't 'need' it just yet.

If I was you - I would looking forward to the full-frame down the road, however, as price/cost concerned I rather get the 30D now (with rebate), use it for few months as a primary, my 20D would be the backup until either the next Canon's version come out, which will bring down the cost of 5D - or get the new one has more better fetures; and by that time, I would sell the 20D.

Usually when people say they want a second camera they are usually talking about a cheaper brand. The 5D and even the 30D are both more expensive and sopphisticated than the 20D. I would go for the 5D, it's a little more expensive but I think it's worth it. Think about it, no more lousy 1.6X cropping factor.