Arista.EDU Ultra 400 w/HC110

janet cull

The 120 box of Arista EDU Ultra 400 says to use HC110 1:31. Does that mean 1 part stock to 31 water?

I'm not experienced with HC110, but that sounds too dilute to me. It says D76 1:1 and I know that means

1 part stock to 1 water. Seems the first number representing "stock" should be consistent across the list

unless there is a note to indicate otherwise.

Have any of you used HC110 with this film? Thank you.

Janet

Carl, thanks for answering so quickly. You said, "yes, it means 1 part concentrate..." My

question was, does it mean 1 part stock? Did you mean, yes - 1 part stock, or no - 1 part

concentrate?

I'm not trying to be weird. Just want to get this right. Again, thanks so much!

I just called Freestyle (sorry, I didn't think of that before) and the girl said I should use

dilution B, which is 1:7 for 6 minutes. She also told me that the EDU Ultra is the same as

fomapan, so she pulled the time and dilution from the Massive Dev Chart.

Thanks, guys!

Janet, things sound like they are now confused. HC-110 is HIGHLY concentrated in the bottle. Dilution B of HC110 means the following. 1 ounce concentrate + 31 ounces water = 32 ounces of dilution B developer. OR 1 ounce of stock solution (which is mixed from concentrate at 1+3) + 7 ounces of water = 8 ounces developer. The best way to mix HC-110 in my opinion is straight from concentrate. 1 part conc + 31 parts water. I hope this helps.

I haven't used the Arista.EDU Ultra 400/HC-110 dilution B combination, but have used this film in D-76 and XTOL. Not bad. Tri-X it's not; but at the price, it's fine.

You really should go to the source for mixing information and the like. Check page 2 of the Kodak tech pub J-24. It will tell you all about how to make up both a stock solution and a working solution from the thick syrupy stuff that comes in the bottle as sold here in the United States.

Janet

Dil B is 1-31 or one oz of HC-110 to 31 OZ of fine distilled water... the times are the same as Fomapan 400 yess but the dilutions are way off from what she gave you....

That is why I love it it is a syrup and like rodenal if made from the bottle it will last a long long time.

6.5-7 minutes for 400 depending on contrast of the situation 320 at 6 minutes.

Your friend Larry

Here's the confusing part, which people have alluded to.

Kodak's recommendation is to create a stock solution of HC110 from concentrate, then dilute that further in order to get working solutions. However, I've never heard of anyone actually doing that. People mix dilutions straight from the concentrate.

To answer your question - NO it's not 1+31 from stock. It's 1+31 from the pure liquid concentrate.

To make matters slightly more confusing, I believe HC110 might actually be sold as stock (not concentrate) in Europe, but I'm not sure. The concentrate is easy to identify, though: syrupy, yellow liquid.

In case you haven't come across it yet, here's a useful page on HC110:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

By the way I've souped the Ultra 400 in 120 format in HC110-B. Very nice, especially for the price. Though as Frank says, Tri-X it's not.

Actually many photographers dilute the concentrate to make a stock solution (1+3). I find it much easier to dilute the stock solution since it is no longer a thick syrup. But, however you decide to make your working solution be consistent. For me the developing times of Dilution B were too quick and I have switched to the unoffical dilution which is twice as dilute as Dil B and development is twice as long. The rule for HC-110 is 3mL of syrup will develope 1 roll of 35mm or 1 roll or 120 or 1 8X10 or 4 4X5 pieces of sheet film. That means you will need to have at least 3mL of the concentrate or 12mL of stock solution in the final solution for development.

Paul

Janet, just make it easy on yourself, and use 1:50 straight from the syrup. This works for me, and although I've tried this with Fortepan films (didn't like it so much), am currently shooting some Fomapan and will be going with Rodinal 1:40 for 10min. This worked out just fine for my Tri-X & Efke25, and Plus-X.

The only time I would have purposely used HC-110 was a few weeks ago @ a wedding, shooting a Rolleiflex, with Tri-X and wanting that particular look to it.

Only got HC-110 when I heard Rodinal was kaput. Now that I know it's not, Rodinal all around!

I get great results with Foma 400 exposed at E.I.200, developed in HC-110 (dil. H) for 11 minutes. In fact, as Foma�s charts betray, this film is only about 200 ASA - certainly not 400 ASA. With proper exposure you may get really pleasing results with it - especially with HC-110.