My 4 month old M7 just broke - HELP!

steve_huff1

The advance lever stuck - cant snap a shot or wind the film. Took out the film, put in a new roll and same

thing. Cant shoot or advance.

I bought it NEW 4 months ago and registered it with Leica so its under warranty. I can not seem to find a

phone# to call Leica so I can send it in. Im in the USA and have the address to send it to, but would lik eto

call them 1st. Does anyone have the # to Leica in Northvale, NJ?

OR does anyone have a solution for the frozen film advance lever? Maybe its something I am overlooking??

Thanks!

Steve

Adress:

Leica Camera Inc.

1 Pearl Court, Unit A

Allendale, NJ 07401

Contact person: Robert Fisk; Sarah Mayville & Brenda Olesin

Phone: 800-222-0118

Fax: 201-995-1686

E-mail: repair@leicacamerausa.com

I can't figure out how you put in a new roll if the advance lever is stuck. You have to wind on to load. Unless--maybe--it's not the advance lever that is really the problem. I wonder if the film is binding somehow. Maybe the rewind assembly is seized up???

I took out the 1st roll after it froze. Rewind worked fine.

Put in a new roll but couldnt even load it as it was frozen. Totally stuck advance lever.

COuld also not press the shutter release, it too was stuck. Its boxed and being shipped off

tomorrow.

Only bad thing is I have a huge assignment due in 4 weeks and now I am cameraless.

Couldnt afford the MP backup....

So now I will wonder how long it will take them to fix. Ill send it UPS next day so they will

get it Thursday. Im hoping 2 weeks at most but have heard 4-6 from others.

Hopefully it will be fixed and problem free in the future.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

As others have said try changing the battery - If it's still dead then when sending it in ask about a loaner body in the interim - if they have any available they may have a choice between an MP & M7 - I suggest using the MP just to have a round with it for future reference.

My son had an issue after less than 2 months with a new M7 with the shutter - they put it all back to normal very quickly but it is frustrating once you pay the price for a new body & then have to deal with warranty issues - best it's now instead of after it expires.

Good Luck

Steve, I've had one of my M6TTLs worked on by Leica before, and the process is slow (sorry, but won't lie to you). You must send them the camera by the fastest possible way... because afterwards you'll have to sit down until they mail you an estimate with a job number. Once you get that number, call any of the people mentioned above (I dealt with Tony... IIRC), approve their estimate (it should be free if the camera is still under warranty) and explain the situation about your big assignment coming up. When I told them I was leaving for Puerto Rico within the month (which was true), Tony put a rush on my camera and I got it back some five days later.

Good luck!

Are you an undercover PR for the Film Is Dead Organization (FIDO)? Always have a backup camera. Grab a Nikon. Pico says he doesn't know any pro who doesn't have two or three backups. I don't know any who use an M7 as their primary. But I guess it depends on what you're shooting and who its for.

Alan Pervert,

I have many cameras, just mostly digital. One film camera as I was not expecting to shoot

that much film and I did not expect the M7 to break down after 4 months.

Anyway,

Also, tried the batteries - Its not the batteries. Its locked up. Tried everything.

Also, Ive been shooting for only 8 years and AM NOT a pro. I have 3 DSLR's but only one

film body. The $3500 film body happened to break after 4 months. Kind of ridiculous of

me to expect quality and reliability from Leica I guess. I love my M7, but this has me re-

thinking a few things.

My wife told me to go ahead and get a new MP tomorrow. Not sure if I will do that, but if I

do, Ill be buying new to make sure I have a warranty.

I had the same thing happen to my M7. I think I inadvertently wound the advance lever while the shutter was still open (while loading film). I wound the film advance lever really hard and it unseized. I had nothing to lose as I had bought it on ebay; you will be better off getting it repaired under warranty, I suspect.

"I bought it NEW 4 months ago and registered it with Leica so its under warranty. I can not seem to find a phone# to call Leica so I can send it in."

You could find this forum on the internet but you couldn't find Leica's phone #, not in the papers that came with the camera, not on the internet, not from telephone information, not from a Leica dealer. Uh huh. Just yesterday I posted that the first guy to get an M8 with a defect would post it to the internet before he even called Leica. Now you see where I'm getting that from.