Can these old negatives be restored?

carol_collins

I have come into possession of old negatives (60-yrs. old), and some of them are

faded--they seem to have lost their density over time. Others are blurred, as

if the different tones faded into each other. It doesn't look like it was just

blurred at the time of taking. I have searched this forum and the internet for

help in restoring and preserving these negatives, but nothing is specific to

this situation. Would it help to wash them, then re-fix them, or is there

anything else that would at least stop further deterioration? Thanks for any

suggestions.

You could be seeing the results of decay of nitrate film base. Gives off a characteristic odor, causes the emulsion to buckle, etc.

Alternately, they could have been under-fixed, or under-washed. Or they may be sulfided (silver sheen, especially around the edges).

Making the best copy possible first (which probably means scanning digitally today) is absolutely the first step. Film scanning can do very well with thin negatives, it's dense ones that challenge it.

If it's not nitrate base decay, re-fixing with a hardening fixer, and re-washing, might stabilize them some. But I don't know if fixer will remove sulfided silver (it won't remove metallic silver), if it did that would be bad!

Thanks, you guys. I guess the best procedure is to scan them first, then give them good ventilation, and clean them. They were stored all stacked on top of each other in a big envelope down in N. Carolina, where it is very humid. Once I have them scanned, I might as well wash them and refix, as I probably have nothing to lose. Thanks again.

Oh, North Carolina? Could also be fungus. Kodak used to have formulas for killing fungus on films, but I think they are all based on non-banned fungicides. (Too dangerous.)

Hunt down an (out of print) copy of Kodak Publication F-30, "Preservation of Photographs". Common on eBay, and on Internet book search services.