Where to get HP5+ in NYC after 2pm on Friday

johndc

This might seem like an odd question, but I'm planning a trip to New York this

evening and I want to get a few rolls of HP5+ while I'm there. Unfortunately,

the two places I usually (B&H/Adorama) go close early on Friday in observation

of Shabbat. My knowledge of photo vendors in NYC is pretty limited. Can anyone

tell me about any good places in the city to get HP5+ on Friday afternoon?

Thanks.

John,

Two places I know that should have HP5+, and are open on Friday afternoons.

Alkit Camera: Several locations, the one I know best is at the northwest corner of 18th Street and Park Avenue South. You can check their website http://www.alkit.com for more stores.

K & M: Two locations...one on E 23 between 1st and Second Ave (north side of street), and on Broadway just south of Canal street (I think White Street).

Be prepared to pay a premium over B&H prices (you'll probably pay for 24 exposures what you would pay for 36 at B&H).

I'm almost positive that they both stay open until 7 on Fridays, and they are open on Saturday.

FotoCare, 136 W. 21st Street. They are more of a high end shop, with lots of 120 and sheet film.

http://www.FotoCare.com

Alkit is also pretty good, and their prices are actually quite reasonable: There is no "USA vs Imported" pricing on Ilford, anyway... I don't know about their other stores, but the Park Ave store is their main location.

In any case, call ahead to make sure any of the stores above have the HP5 in the size you need actually in stock...

Well, I ended up going to K&M on 23rd St.

They were very friendly and eager to help (and, indeed, open until 7pm) but they were out of all 35mm HP5+. I ended up getting Tri-X instead, which I don't mind too much (I don't want to start a whole Tri-X vs. HP5+ thing).

The 23rd St. location seems to be more of an "outpost" anyway. They suggested that I might swing by their main Tribeca location, but I was in a hurry and didn't have the time. Regardless, I was impressed with their reasonable prices and polite & courteous service, and will keep them in mind for the future.

Anyway, thanks for helping me out!