Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to make some suggestion for

me.

I have zero traditional darkroom experience. I want to change

that. So here is what I am looking at. I would like to be able to

work with the following media: black and white film and prints,

color slide film (lean towards astia and provia) and ilfochrome

classic.

So that is what I want to do. I would like to do it on a budget...

but then, for everyone�s first setup, I am sure the same rule

request applies. Oh, and I would like enlargement capability to

11x14 if possible.

So, now we know my insane request... what would any of you suggest

to get me started? Books, equipment, parts list. So, where should

I start?

Thanks!

Robert,

I started like you, with no experince at all. What really helped me was a course I took for 4 weeks on basic and advanced darkroom. I took the course at a local high school that had some adult programs in the evening. I could use their dark room and try printing while I was a student. later, I bought entire darkroom set on craigslist.com for $300. It is WW2 era technology, but my camera is also WW2 era too, much older than me :-) but made beautiful photos. I set up the darkroom in my 2nd bathroom (has no windows). and use the bath tub, plug the drain and maintain the temp by mixing cold and hot water... etc.. there are tons of info online on how to set up your darkroom... wetside/dry side etc.. hope this helps.

Printing B&W can be relatively economical but printing color using Ilfochrome can be rather pricy. For B&W, virtually any cheap enlarger and lens can work, though I would suggest that you get at least a Besslar 67 with a good 6 element lens (Nikkor, Componon, Rodagon) both of which can usually be picked up used for under $100 each. Then all you would need is a timer, trays, safelight, paper and chemistry and you are done. But Ilfochrome is very light insensitive and requires an enlarger with a strong bulb and an enlarger lens (usually apo) that can be used almost wide open. Now this can be mitigated somewhat if you're using MF instead of 35mm because the magnification isn't as great (i.e. the smaller the mag. the less light is needed). You will also need a motor base and drum set, such as a Besslar, for color work. So since you are on a budget I suggest you stick to B&W for the present.

Dear Robert,

- If you live in or near a large urban area, check for local photography clubs or communal darkrooms.

- Check the local papers for folks selling off old darkroom stuff. You might get everything you need (to start) for a song.

- ebay "complete darkroom packages".

Once you try it for a while, you can decide if it's for you.

Books should be available at libraries. Ansel Adams is either too tough or worth buying. The rest doesn't really tell enough to justify a purchase.

Get either a color enlarger first or stick to one for multigrade filters.

Motorized rollerbases like Jobos are also rather convenient to process huge amonts of film.

Get used equipment, but respect ergonomics while building your workspace.

Amazon .com David Vestal`s Book of Craft. He is a pro who wrote for Modern Photography 40 years ago. He still does a column in Camera Arts I think.

He will get you thru step by step.

Don`t get all wrapped up with equipment. The simpler the better.

Buy good enlarging lenses. Every picture goes thru it. It needs to be good.

If you want to do color, get a color enlarger. It will double duty as a diffusion black and white. There is virtually no difference between condenser and diffusion enlargers if you develope the film appropiately. Any condenser enlarger needs a filter drawer above the lens.

I have used cheap enlargers and good ones. If it can be alligned properly, all make the same print given a decent lens. Better ones are less shakey and are easier to use.

I would stay away from 35mm starter enlargers that sell for $100 new.

Buy used equipment from a reputable source. E-Bay is not reputable.

Hi Robert,

Yes you still need the color filters - or a B & W enlarger with illfochrome filters. The reason is that the color temperatures need to be altered for the paper.

I do all my color work on slides for the quality and with the advent of technology, it's far easier and cheaper to buy a slide scanner (e.g. mine is a minolta elite 5400) and scan the slides in. With the right scanner it's the same as if I was using a 42 megapixel digital camera! Scanning is far cheaper then I take the scanned image down to the local photo shop.

Martin.