How to insert a roll of film 120 in the tank...

Soon, I'll have to develop my first film 120 at home. (Until now, I

was just doing it with 35mm.) My question is: do I have to remove the

paper from the film before rolling it in the spool? I apologize for

this silly question but, when I noticed that the 120 film had a paper

on one side, I wasn't sure about the way to do it right... Also, it

seems like if nothing really protect these type of films except that

they're kept rolled very tight. Is there a risk to fog the film when

you remove it from the camera? Should I do it in the darkness? Thanks

in advance for your advice. I never worked with a medium format film

until recently...

Thierry, You are correct in all aspects, you must remove the paper before or as you are loading it on the spool and the only thing that prevents 120/220 film from fogging is the paper backing on 120 and paper leader on 220. To be safe you should always make sure the rolls are tightly wound and sealed, unload and load in subdued light.

Good luck you will do fine.

,Grinder

You need to beg, borrow or steal a roll of expendable 120 film. Try to find some el cheapo outdated film at your local photo shop. It makes no difference if it's color or b&w. Don't bother shooting it.

Then just unroll it in daylight and see how it works. Then use that same roll of film to load your film reels in the daylight. Practice over and over until you are comfortable.

Yes, 120 film is protected by being rolled very tight in the paper. Just load and unload in the shadows. Turning your back to the direct sun usually is all that's needed. And yes, you dispense with the paper backing when developing the film.

Never fear, all roll film was like this in the pre 35mm days.

Just take care to keep the film out of bright light, such as when changing film outdoors. There's a chance you could get an occasional roll that doesn't wind up tight enough on the take-up spool and these require extra care, too. Sacrifice a roll of 120 to practice in the light with. The most common issues are in being too careless about starting the roll in the absolute center of the reel as it will stray off-course much easier than the 35mm that you're accustomed to. Be cautious about kinking the film, especially when removing the tape at the end of the roll as you will be adding crescent moon shapes to the film that will definitely show in your prints. I guarantee you will discover the moon issue before too many rolls go by! Your results with the larger format will easily seem worthwhile after you see your first results.

Kinked film develops little cresent marks. You will know when you see it.

It is wider and more bendable thn 35 so it is harder to handle.

The leader is taped to the paper backing. The Rest just follows on. When you open the exposed roll, you find the untaped trail edge. Start this on the reel. When you get to the tape, either fold it over or remove it from the film VERY SLOWLY. It tends to make static electricity. I usually rip it off the backing and fold it over.

2 1/4 is good. 4x5 better. 8x10 and up even better, but the logistics get worse and worse.

Welcome to the wonderful world of medium format. You ask good questions. The next step is development. The crucial step is getting the film on a reel. Most commonly this is a Paterson reel. If you are just starting, I suggest that you get rid of the Paterson reel and replace it with a wide flange Ultra reel. They are not very expensive and are vastly easier to load 120 on than on Paterson reels.

As suggested, get a practise roll to load several times in daylight before attempting to do it in pitch darkness. It will take a bit of practise to get you fingers to "see" what is happening.

Also, as suggested, the next step is 4X5. That's a whole new ballgame!

I load 120 into Paterson reels with no difficulty. As suggested above, sacrifice a roll of film to practice loading. Put the developing reel down in front of you with the entrance to the spiral facing you. Hold the end of the film betwen your thumb and first three fingers, with your fingers underneath the film and your thumb on top. Hold the developing reel with your other hand to keep it steady and pull the end of the film into the reel. Once past the ball-bearings of the ratchet just crank away as per normal.