WallyWorld scratching negatives - need good mail order lab

Wally World (aka WalMart) keeps scratching some of my negatives. I

shoot film primarily for fun: landscapes, wildlife, and macro, but

scan my "keepers," final process in Photoshop CS2, and upload to

Costco for enlargments. (Haven't fired up my darkroom in years).

I use mostly Fuji C41, and am considering experimenting with Kodac's

B&W C41 process film. I like WalMart's "send-out" processing prices

($2.96 for developing 24 exposure and printing 3x5 glossy singles

(only use one hour for body or lens tests). I couldn't buy the

chemicals and paper for that.

Anybody using a mail order capable "consumer" level lab that may

produce better results for hobbiest level prices? Continental US, by

the way.

I tried Mpix for c41 processing a handful of times. Initially, I was impressed. Then, they scratched 4 rolls of film. Diagonal scratches on the outside of the "protective" sheeting that also were on the negatives themselves. Something scratched them after they were sleeved. It wasn't a continuous horizontal scratch like from going through a machine. Looked like they were run over several times by a rolling office chair while the negatives were flat on the floor. :)

They were apologetic and refunded my processing fees. But I sure wouldn't trust anything important to them again.

Eric

I think the first thing they teach the lab weenies at WalMart is how to scratch negatives. But, believe it or not, one place I've had really good luck is Sam's Club. I think the reason is that Sam's Club doesn't do a high-volume photo processing business, so they have time to pay attention to details. Like replenishing developer, cleaning the machine, etc.

I also sent some XP2 to mpix to see how it came out. 4 rolls sent in an all 4 rolls had scratches throughout. My previous experiences had been good. I'm reluctant to send more film in to be scratched. I think I'll be doing some home Tri-X development for a while.

If you wanted good work you wouldn't look for the lowest price or be willing to have your work done by people on minimum wage. Would you?

I've had the same experience. We deserve the bad work we get for using most minilabs. If they do happen to do a good job, someone will notice and put an end to it.

Try Costco one hour for T400CN B&W C-41. write under the instructions the following: "USE MONOCHROME SETTINGS. WATCH FOR DUST. PJP" (PJP means they will adjust exposure on each frame. It costs just under $10 for 36 5 X 7 prints done on Fuji Crystal Archive. Choice of Glossy or Matte. Takes about an hour. I've procesed about 50 rolls and no problems with the negs. Now and then some of the prints come out bad, but they make it up.

Most digital labs these days wouldn't know if the negs are getting scratched in the film processor unless it's a really dramatic scratch that the ICE equiped Fuji Frontier / Noritsu couldn't cover up. Scratches aren't showing up in the prints so who cares? May be in the end you get what you pay for?

Try the local photo shop/lab. Rather than being staffed with minimum wage employees who have no incentive to do a good job and often lack real training, your local shop is staffed with people who's main interest is photography. The cost is a bit more usually, but you will be supporting a local business, give local people jobs, and the proceeds of your business will stay in your community rather than go to some multi-national profit machine.

My local lab/shop works with me on prints and will happily make whatever adjustments I request. They do the work right there and I can shop of drop by later and pick up the film/prints in a short time, where they are happy to go over the results with me to make sure that I got what I wanted. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

- Randy

<i>" If they do happen to do a good job, someone will notice and put an end to it."</i><p></p>

hehe... they've tried to get rid of me but it ain't gonna work :D

<p></p>

<I>"Most digital labs these days wouldn't know if the negs are getting scratched in the film processor unless it's a really dramatic scratch that the ICE equiped Fuji Frontier / Noritsu couldn't cover up. Scratches aren't showing up in the prints so who cares?"</i><p></p>

I never scratch negatives, and I would know. I inspect each film before it gets printed.<p></p>

<i>"Rather than being staffed with minimum wage employees who have no incentive to do a good job and often lack real training... your local shop is staffed with people who's main interest is photography."</i><p></p>

that may hold true for 99% of the children who run minilabs, but not my store. or me, either.<p></p>

<i>"My local lab/shop works with me on prints and will happily make whatever adjustments I request. They do the work right there and I can shop of drop by later and pick up the film/prints in a short time, where they are happy to go over the results with me to make sure that I got what I wanted."</i><p></p>

Come to my store and I'd give you the same type of service. I do it with everyone. If you drop off something I usually promise it back to you in half an hour.