Has anyone tried the new Rollei IR film? I have always used Kodak HIE. I

finally purchased a medium format camera TLR so this I could use my 87 opaque

red filter. To my chagrin, I learned that HIE is not available in 120, but

there was another product, Macophat, which was available. But alas, that too

is out of production.

Any thoughts. Thanks

Some IR information:

http://www.vividlight.com/Articles/2915.htm

Rollei IR-400 you can use for IR with a 665nm 695 or 715nm filter. Over 715nm you have not enough sensitivity. You can also see it in the graphics:

http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/RolleiIR-400.pdf

Because the (spectral) sensitivity is much less than HIE and the film has an anti-halo layer it's not possible to get IR pictures with a red filter.

and some development info:

http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/Development_Rollei%20films.pdf

Best regards,

Robert

PS. Rollei IR-400 has nothing to do with the Maco IR820C. It's a complete different emulsion. The only thing is that Maco is marketing the new Rollei films.

All new emulsions, except the Rollei Retro 100/400 films which are 100% compatible and made from the Agfa APX 100/400 master rolls.

But HIE IS available in 120. See http://www.davidromano.com/Film.html It won't be available forever as the film stock, 70mm Aerographic 2424, just went out of production. But you can buy it now.

I've used quite a bit of this and it IS HIE. I can confirm everything David says about it, including the ability to load it in shade.

Nothing seems to work as well as HIE. It's only drawback if grain and shooting in 120 solves that.

US$20,00 for an IR HIE 120 Rollfilm, the Rollei IR-400 on 120 rollfilm is just half priced. But indeed if you need the full sensitivity range there is no alternative.

The Rollei IR-400 is also an aerographic film. It's available in 35mm, 120 rollfilm and 4x5" sheet film.

It's a good film but not the maco as everyone else has said. It's slow at 6-10iso (not 25 as others have posted). The IR effect is not as strong as HIE but that film is partly strong because of the lack of anti-halatation causing highlight burn outs. The skies come out well. I've only shot one roll (which I exposed at 25, but it needed 10iso). So only a couple came out because of bracketing.

Attached one to show IR effect.<div>00GtG3-30501084.jpg.e32d3b04a98f8b4a86ead2efd23540f7.jpg</div>

Duane, I know it's confusing at first. Basically the IR films have two emulsions coated on them. One a normal monochrome emulsion with a second only sensitive to IR light. This second layer normally is much less light sensitive.

So if you expose Kodak HIE without a filter at 400 iso, you will get a fairly normal monochrome shot. Add a red filter and filter out everything except red and IR and you get about half and half on each emulsion. So a red shot with some glowing whites in foliage. Stronger filters ie. ones that remove more and more visible light and just leave the IR light, give a stronger IR effect. Most cut of at about 700nm but HIE is sensitive up to 900nm but at increasingly slow speeds. So an R72 or equivalent gives a speed of about 50iso (when metered with a handheld meter).

The Rollei film is not sensitive much above 700 and nowhere near up to the 900 of HIE. So you really need to filter out all of the visible light if you want to get a fairly strong IR effect. Even then it won't be a strong as the HIE film gives. Hope this helps.