DMR (Update) and M7, 50/1.4 ASPH ... Go to Hollywood.

fotografz

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guy's just trying to show some of the images from the DMR obviously not my real work but some snapshots to show some highlights of the system. Please if you like your 5d than do use that as best you can, but until you test the systems and run side by side images the difference are much more apparent than on the web, unfortunetly that I can't show you that part of it. The web is taking about 2 stops off the DR

What I really don't understand, is that some will say you can't make any judgments from

limited web-based photos, and then subsequently post web photos to illustrate an attribute

or claim with respect to the camera/lens from which the photo was made. Does that make

any sense?

www.citysnaps.net

I don't see anything wrong with using the web. It's srgb and when converting an rgb to srgb correctly, it's a fine place to evaluate. Why not? It sure beats a srgb machine print.

Losing two stops of DR becasue it's on the web is an incorrect statement, Guy

Guy,

I hope I did not rub it wrong way. :-) My post was not to discredit what you were saying. I fully agree and support what you said. I'm actually all for the excitement about your gear. After all you should be happy and confident in the tools you are using.

I think in the case of those who know what they are doing like Marc and you and others who get their results and preffer the look they are getting with DMR - that's all good.

I can imagine some DMR users are convincing themselves that it delivers better results than is actually true.<br />

Here nevertheless I think some people like to convince themselves that the DMR (which they don't own) doesn't deliver better results - because if it would, they would feel some envy.

<p>

Wim

The bird in the top photo is certainly better on screen the top of that nesting spot is like open shade so maybe it is that one shot but I do see it degrade bad , maybe I am doing something wrong on my end here , I am using save for web and dropping it down to 500 pixels , honestly for some reason they show up better on Fred's site, not sure why that is. Also I convert to srgb.

Guy,

<p>

I suppose it is my lack of subtlety in English, that you misunderstood me.

<p>

What I meant is this: people hear DMR-owners talk about how great their DMR is. Some of the people who hear this, think "it is just because they paid so much money, that they say the like the camera so much".<br />

I myself think (reading this thread and the one on Fred Miranda) that the DMR really does very well (thinking about getting one myself...)

<p>

What I then said that even if it were true that some DMR-owners are exaggerating their DMR's virtue, that it is even more true that there are other people (non DMR-owners) who just cannot accept that the DMR is such a fine piece of equipment.

<p>

I hope I made myself clear now, but I doubt it :-)

Rene I know but i have yet to see one DMR owner sell there camera for not liking the images at all, it is kind of wierd people that have bought them have bought more leica gear because they like the files better. That thread of 5000 posts there is not one complaint about the images. More operational issues than anything , try that with any body and people are whining all the time, i can't explain it but no one has whined about there images. To me that is something else and it can't be dilusional. It's like people actually think the 5d is better than the 1dsMKII and has better DR than the 1dsMKII. Now that is dilliusional. The 1dsMKII is the best Canon makes period. Today , i actually liked the files from the 1ds better but that is another thread . the 5d is a nice camera but it is only about 75 percent of the 1dsMKII as far as image

FWIW Marc the first shot reminds me of Provia 400 - my favorite 400ISO color film.

I find that with today's RAW tools one can achieve lots of 'film like' looks in post processing. At the same time I don't really understand the quest for Lfilm look'. I suppose as long as not a crappy overptocessed digital look we should strive for a 'great look'. Somehow, though, 'great look' doesn't sound glamorous enough...

I've shot plenty crappy looking Provia 400 intersected by some beauties.

Brad, I was thinking the same thing when the first post appeared. Perhaps Marc wanted to show the details of the shadow under the awning.

800 ISO limit sounds like a bit of a bummer though. I have never registered this limitation when Iread about the DMR in the past. Seems that when I was shooting the 5D I went 99% 1600 iso. The 100ISO shots I took could be less than 10. Maybe it will change when summer rolls into Maine.