some of the best photos ever from photo.net? Each day browsing

through photo.net I find gems that never stop to amaze me and it

feels that I can only see a drop in the ocean of the many thousands

of great shots displayed in this website. I'm sure that with such

abundance of quality, there would be loads of excellent material to

publish a great book of photography. I would certainly buy it! Do you

Brian & company think that such a thing could be possible in some

near future?

the problem is that the copyright for every photo is owned by the photographer who made

the photo. And while photo.net could scontact each photographer and say this is what we

are going to pay for 1/4 page or smallwer, half page to a quarter page , full page , double

truck, chapter openers and cover imags you will always have people who will hold out for

more --sometimes for valid reasons. Then there is the problem of who is going to do the

editing, the writing, the fact checking the negotiating, the graphic design, and production

work.

There may or may not also be a problem with making sure there are valid model releases

as well.

None of these problems ae so big they can't be solved but they'll take time and money.

Finally who would be the market? Photography collections are notorious for not making

money for their publishers.

Ellis, you know for sure far better than me what such an enterprise implies as I have no experience whatsoever with it. With my very little knowledge, I can only say that regarding the copyright payments to the photographers, perhaps the majority of the owners of the photographs in here wouldn't mind having them displayed in such a book with no charge, just for the exposure that it would bring to them (and why not for the honor!). Regarding to who would be the market, I guess that photo.net community itself with its many thousands of members and even more visitors could be a great starting point. Anyway, I am really glad you think that at least it could be doable and something worth to consider.

I like the idea.

It can be a small book with only few of hundred photos...so the costs stays low (while testing the water) so if it turned out to be a success then it can be a semi annunal thing.

Around hundred photographers, around 300-400 shots...half a page bio of each photographer.

Photos need to be chosen from the posted images on the Photo.net during certain period of time (so it makes sense for marketing).

This will motivate photographers to post their best works on the site in future as well.

I think you can ask photographers if they are willing to submit their work free of charge.(At least for the first edition).

For model release form as long as photographers can submit the signed form with a copy of the picture ID of models, there shouldn't be any problem. (at least not towards the publishing company and Photo.net).

Book can have a theme or few chapters...from street photography to Fashion to Nature, Abstract and fine art etc.

I think it would be worth the hassle to create something special like this.

Cheers

M.H.

Hey Nicholas lighten up man! ! ! :D <b>

I don't think there would be any competition about who is the best because IMO, the best photos in the site generally aren't even from the members which usually get higher ratings. There's a lot of high quality stuff out there from many people which don't care about ratings or visibility competition.