Your choice of B&W films?

low light

Advice : find the right combo and stick with it !

For 10 years now I use Ilford HP5 film at 400 ISO. I always develop in D-76 13.5 mn at 20?C. It's a standart combo which works really good. I tried many other films and developers during these years, always got back to this one.

In the low sensibilities I use pan F at 25 ISO.

In the 100 ISO range, I can't give any advice because I never find a satisfied combo. Anyway, in order to concentrate on creativity and reach very stable results I don't like use more than 1 or 2 combos.

For more than 35 years it's been Tri-X in 35 and 120, developed in either HC-110(B) or ID-11(1:1) as the tried and true go-to film I can photograph practically anything with.

As a second film, I used Verichrome Pan outside and FP4 under studio lighting, but since VP120 was discontinued I have tried to fill the void. So far, I like Fuji Acros 100 a great deal, but haven't photographed enough tough subjects with it enough to say it's the one.

Neopan 400. It's just what I've been shooting for the last several years and works fine.

But offer me Tri-X or HP-5 for the next few years at 40% less and I'm sure I could learn to like them again.

Shoot enough of any film in your desired speed range and I'm sure you would come to like it.