Why make photographs?

It's hard to say... Maybe becaus we want to show something that we saw, and nobody else did, to other people? Maybe because we just like to make photos and you can't translate it... I liked making photos when I was 6 years old. I always wanted to make photos when I was in zoo or on a trip but I never knew that after a few years I'll make them all the time :D . Photography is my hobby for 2 years. I don't know why I like making photos... Maybe it's written in our DNA ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's better not to know. When I got aware of what I think is the (my!) answer to your

question I lost the fun in doing it. My answer was: I proove my own existance. A picture of,

say a street-scene in Amsterdam, Holland, is nothing about Amsterdam but to give proof

of me having been there. In fact, when you look at great pictures you can hardly ever tell

where they have been made (except for the ones done on purpose in a given place). As I

said, it took away the pleasure, for quite some time I went on taking pictures knowing that

all I was going to do is "file" them. I had to come up with a new reason for shooting for

myself, and I have found subjects that are interesting and you could shoot all over the

world in any place but in the end they all root in the one thin (for me) and I have never had

that urge anymore since I "knew" about my impetus. This reaction is typical for me, maybe

somebody elso would gain enormouis power out of it, but here it comes down to the

question that is the very mother of questions: What is the meaning of life - you will find a

strong connection in your feelings and reasons while trying to answer either one of these

questions. Sorry for my english. Good luck to everybody here. Hel.