E2 processing (older Kodak Ektachrome film)

The dyes in E-2 films were spectacularly unstable. The half-formed dyes in the film might be dead meat, and you would lose the image when you bleach out the silver.

You might really get more information if you just develop as B&W, since the silver is a lot more stable. I think you could still go back and cross-process in a C-22 type color negative process after doing the B&W developing, and get a color negative. That's because B&W processing won't remove the color couplers and dyes. (Kodak has a data sheet on how you can re-process C-41 developed in B&W chemistry, and still get a color negative.)

I suppose you could do snip tests each way, and see which results in a more rewarding photograph.

Getting some old unexposed E-2 film on eBay might be a wise thing to do, experiment with that before using the rolls with important latent images.

I suspect E2 first developer is the same as E3 and E4 first developer. All of them are reversed after first development, then redeveloped in the color developer.

With E2 and E3 the reversal is accomplished by exposure to light in the middle of the cycle (like solarization)...a non-critical step... the overhead light in the darkroom was satisfactory, though the then rare automated processors had a sealed reexposure section for the purpose (like some motion picture film processing systems).

E4 introduced a nasty chemical alternative to that light reexposure...

... E4 COULD be processed using E-3 light technique and color developer instead of E4's particularly nasty reversal chem if one insisted. For context, E3 was said to have more saturated color than E4, though less accurate, and the chemical reversal agent was said to be at fault...but in fact, hardly any labs did acceptable work with E4 so there wasn't much of a baseline for comparison...this partially explains Kodachrome's survival.

I *suspect* E2 might be processed in E3 chem, or in E4 with modified color developer (without the reversal agent).

Both E3 and E4 were easily processed in common Nikor tank/reel/bathtub setups and I'm sure the chems can be obtained.

Somebody older even than me (or more willing to research) will know if E2 chems were different than E3. I suspect they're not, but I've processed a lot of E3 and E4, never E2.

As I recall you could develope E2 in E3 chemistry with some changes.

I did a LOT of E4 in E3 chemicals in the late 70's. Look for a darkroom guide from the mid 70's and it should have the answers for you.

Also Unicolor used to have an Ektachrome kit that could do E2, E3, and E4.

Thank you all for your rapid and valuable information.

I'm amazed of the knowledge you guys (John S/John K) posses. It seems to be alot about really understanding the chemistry of these processes and I'm simply not there yet. I have learned alot reading your replies and have come to the conclusion that for the few rolls to process this time I will hand them in to a lab on the recommendation by Berk Sirman.

THANK YOU, Patrik.

I found the URL for the Kodak document. It seems to no longer work on their Web site, but you can access an archived version of it through http://archive.org, one of the best ways to retrieve pages at URLs that no longer work.

HTML version:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030609010937/http://kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/ae31/ae31.shtml

PDF version:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030609201156/http://kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/pdf/ae31.pdf

• 1 month later...
The Kodak "kodak color films" E-77 of June 1959 for 75 cents has:<BR><BR><BR><BR>Ektachrome type F balanced for clear flashbulbs using process E-2,<BR><BR> Ektachrome daylight for roll films at asa <b>32</b> using process E-2;<BR><BR> and Ektachrome Type B for 3200K lamps using process E-3 ;<BR><BR> and Ektachrome daylight in sheet film using process E-1 at a fast asa of 12 in daylight.<BR><BR> High speed Ektachrome in 1959 was fast asa 160; using the E-2 process;<BR><BR> Type b high speed ektachrome in 1959 was asa 125 with 3200K lamps and the E-2 process. <BR><BR><BR><BR>There was no E-4 or E-6 process in 1959; just E-1, E-2 and E-3.

• 15 years later...

There is foil packets of Dektol, a bottle of Photo-Flo

(similar aged), and two bottles of X-22. Also some blue toner.

Most of E2 is powder, but one part of first developer, one part of

color developer, and the stabilizing bath are in (tiny) bottles.

The two devloper bottles look like they have partly dried up

over the years. (The kit is for 16oz.)

The instructions indicate the the stabilizer can be replaced

with photo-flo and formaldahyde. I don't know a replacement

for first or color developer parts A.

Otherwise, I might have better luck with Dektol and X-22.

Edited by glen_h

-- glen