Filters/Black and White Film

User_2019667

Depends on what you are trying to do!

Yellow, Orange and red are the most frequently used colour filters for black and white photography. These will enhance the contrast as well as establishing some details in the sky/clouds. Red is the most dramatic turning blue skies almost black. Yellow is the least dramatic and many photographers (me included) leave a yellow filter on the lens permanently when shooting black and white.

In addition, a Neutral density graduated (ND Grad) filter is useful for darkening down bright areas, usually sky. And a polariser to cut down on reflections.

Each of these filters will have an effect on the exposure. If you are using TTL metering, just let the camera do it's stuff. Otherwise, remember to make the adjustmest manually.

I like an orange filter for general photography when I want punchier contrast. Red produces excessive contrast for my taste. Yellow doesn't seem to do enough.

Green can be interesting, especially for some skin tones, but can produce odd effects in landscape photos.

If you want to experiment inexpensively try the Cokin system. The "resin" (plastic) filters aren't the best optically, but offer an affordable way to try oddball filters. Once you find an effect you like you can then invest in a high quality glass filter.

I almost exclusively shoot with a red filter on these days, as I like the higher contrast look, however, when I was just starting into b+w an orange was my general purpose.

It gives a good kick up in the contrast without going to the extreme of the red.

Though, I have been using a yellow lately for street work of people.