In need of D76 Dilution tips. 1:2 - 1:5

I'm about to develop many rolls of BW film and I want to try

something new with my D76 processing. Dilution!

To be developed:

3 rolls tmax 400 shot at 200asa,

2 rolls tri x shot at 400asa (Holga),

1 roll Iford Pan F 50asa,

1 roll Tmax 100asa,

I've done some research on this site but I can't seem to find

the "equation" for time increase in relation to dilution.

What effect will I achieve with 1:2 up to 1:5 dilution? Other than

the obvious time increase.

I can't help you too much with D-76 dilutions higher than 1+1. Personally, I've never used this developer at anything more dilute. There is some information on "The Massive Dev Chart" at http://www.digitaltruth.com for D-76 at 1+3 paired with TMX, TMY, and PanF+, but not for Tri-X. I would not suggest going higher than 1+3 with this developer. The lack of data suggests that it might not be a good idea, but if you want to experiment that's up to you. Just be sure you have enough stock solution to get the job done in the first place. You'll need at least 100ml. of stock per roll, and that may be impossible to achieve unless you have a very large tank and process only 1 or 2 rolls at a time. Do the math to figure out if you can make it work.

What can you expect? The differences between stock D-76 and D-76 at 1+1 are very subtle and really only show up at very high magnifications. Grain is a tiny bit more coarse and you get a little bit more acutance. These differences should increase with higher dilutions.

As Frank says, the differences will be subtle. If you want to understand the differences, shoot a bunch of identical shots on a short roll, then cut it in half and process the halves in two different dilutions. Randomly developing different images on different films in different dilutions will just lead to confusion and/or wrong beliefs.

For my purposes, I look at d-76 as if it were Rodinal-

straight(undiluted) = Rodinal 1:25

1:1 = rodinal 1:50

1:2= Rodinal 1:100

1:3=Rodinal 1:200

Most or all of the technocrats will argue with this,but being an amateur,I can ignore them and do what I like.

d-76 1:3 I only use for stand development for 1 Hour or more,depending-

higher than 1:3 ,your on your own, but I would suggest at least 2 liters,to make sure you have enough developer.

If you have a throw away roll,you might try 1:4 or 1:5 in 2 liters of developer in the fridge for 24 hrs or more-, why you'd want to try this,only you would know- like MT. Everest,I guess-

you could give it an inversion before breakfast and before dinner-LOL

For a ballpark figure, if you have no data, multiply time by 1.4 when you double the dilution.

So if time for stock solution is 10 min, try 14 min for 1:1 and 20 min for 1:3 (because 1:3 is 4 times more diluted than stock).

If you want to experiment with developer, it is a good idea to keep the film and ISO (and if possible, lighting and subjects too) constant, so you can really watch the difference caused by dilution.

Of those films, Tmax is very sensitive to overdevelopment - try to be on the short side.

With your tests keep track of the ratio of raw D-76 to square inches of film; for your one shot tests. With a very dilute mixture; a short roll may full develop; and with a long roll the developer may "poop out" and exhaust. A dilute 1:4 mixture with MaxTriGoof film at 1000 ticktocks will give different results with a 16oz tank and two 36 exp rolls; versus one 12 exposure roll.