Give to Receive: Committing to Increase Photo Critiques Together

bens

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

btw, to anyone participating, consider adding a link on your community member page to the informal "Five" page to encourage others to participate. You can do that with the following text inserted to your information on that page:

<a href=http://www.photo.net/photo/4062848>Five</a>

You can check my community member page to see how it looks if you would like.

Ben, I love your intentions but I think putting a quota on leaving comments will seem like a chore. To be quite honest I leave ALOT more comments and very rarely rate these days. This is actually thanks to you Ben. When I initially signed on to the site and started posting photos, I was feeling the wrath of the 1/1 anonymous raters. Out of frustration, I posted my disgust on a thread. Of course, there were a few people who labeled me a whiner, but you suggested that I build rapport by leaving more comments and in return more people will be likely to respond to my photos by way of comments. Well, I followed your advice. I don't think of it as mate rating because, again, I rarely leave rates. I simply offer words of priase, opinion, and honest feedback and I have noticed that I have now received the same.

I am just so tired of the rating game. Yes it's nice to get 6s and 7s, and yes it's discouraging to get 3s, but I now appreciate much more someone who is willing to take a second to leave actual words on my photos than clicking a number. I try to follow the philosphy of treating others as you would like to be treated.

I'll end with I wish the site had more of people like Ben and Jayme Hall. We need more dialogue and less numbers.

Very interesting . . .

You might consider starting a separate thread that discusses what constitutes a useful critique. For example, you might include what you like, what you don't like, and how you would improve it. You might also consider a list of what makes an image work - interesting subject, suitable light, good composition, etc.

Good luck.

Seems like this should be a good way to encourage that. Now when people post threads in the forums with complaints about not enough comments, we can post the link to Ben's FIVE page, and to this post.

Out of the thousands of photographers on this site, it would seem that more participation would be forthcoming, but for the first two days, this seems to be a good start.

If the group remains relatively small, we'll need to make sure to comment mostly on photos from people outside the group as often as possible, or we'll get labeled as something.

BF

thanks barry, I agree, a really encouraging start. but i suggest people go where their hearts and minds take them, whether among others participating or outside, i don't particularly care how i'm labeled at this point (goof tends to be the most popular family term, so maybe i'm just well conditioned).

Excellent response to Ben's challenge. Let's see if this is at all statistically significant...Brian can let us know in a few months if the average # of critiques per photo has shot up.

A consistent 5 per day is too much for me, but I promise to be more active (I had taken a break from this site for a while).

Niranjn, thanks for the note, its actually been great fun for me so far, whether stats change or not. Just to clarify, no need to visit every day, its just a commitment to make 5 comments when you do visit. Let me know if that changes your mind.

Thanks for pulling me aboard. This adds incentive and more reason to get out and around a bit more on the site, when we see others doing it. Its much more fun, too, although more time consuming. The symphony is sounding fantastic.

Since we have had the extra space allowed in our portfolios, I have been adding what I consider 'galleries'. They are just for show and tell. Comments on my galleries are appreciated, but they are not particularly for critique.

I am going to try to add a folder to my portfolio where I put my Requests for Critique. I am going to try to put the sequence of this folder to be at the top of my portfolio. Hope this makes it easier for anyone visiting my portfolio to find the ones where I especially want help or critiques.