Help test the new photo emailing feature

mottershead

We are now at the alpha-test page of our new photo emailing feature,

which gives you a special email address for your photo.net Portfolio,

so that you can email photos into your portfolio.

Several people helped us earlier by sending email messages with photo

attachments so that we could develop the code that would pull those

attachments out of the mail messages and put them into a Gallery

Portfolio.

Who wants to help test the feature, which is now ready to go? (Except

for the bugs that you are going to help us find, of course.) If

you want to help, go to

http://www.photo.net/photodb/choose-photodrop and then send a photo to

the address that page gives you. You have to be logged in as a

subscriber because it is a subscriber feature.

Thanks for your help.

Stuart, the "Photodrop" folder that is created automatically has a "Folder Sequence" of 0, which means that it is not shown in your portfolio. If you want it to be visible in your Portfolio, you can change the Folder Sequence to a positive number. The folder is visible to you on your "My Portfolio" page, and the photos in it can be submitted for Critique, used in presentations, etc, which would enable other people to find the folder. Of course, the easiest way to let people find it is to just change the Folder Sequence.

hi Brian I tried to send photo's, which I have saved as jpeg for the web and they are not excepted, heres the message I got back with the failed e-mail ( "None of the attached files were JPEG photos that we could process." ) is there another way they need to be saved for sending as and e-mail ?

I have sent one with my Outlook Express and one by Gmail. They are both in my drop folder. I hope I have the same luck as Stuart had ie: not changing the sequence of the folder and having them appear because I am not sure how to change the sequence of the Photodrop folder to a positive number. It would probably do me good to figure that out for myself though. Love the gadgets, but sometimes I misplace the operating manuals. :)

I have changed the sequence to 88. I never knew we could do that! I wrongly assumed that the folders were alphabetical, with out really checking that assumption. More fun! But my 88 has not appeared on the community page yet. I shall wait for the system to work, must go to my domestic engineering job.

Yongbo, the image/pjpeg attachment is indeed JPEG and should have been processed. However, the mail parser didn't find that attachment because of a small problem. What mail sender was it that you used? Was it Yahoo! Mail? I had previously tested with some mails from Yahoo! Mail, but didn't find this problem until just now. I am just patching the production version now, and I would appreciate it if you would try again with that mail program in about half an hour.

Just tested it. From Yahoo / IE, it worked just fine. Only tested with one photo however. But it was lightning fast.

One thing I also noted is that the photodrop folder appear on the community page even if the sequence is 0. Is this normal? Also, the photo I uploaded in the drop folder was showing as one of the last 3 photo I uploaded.

What is the use of having hidden folders (sequence 0) if the photo appear elsewhere in our pages? Just a question, as I don't really need to have hidden folders...

Thanks for the new functionality. It will be useful from time to time.

Stephane, Folder Sequence controls the presentation of the folder on your portfolio page, and 0 or less means it isn't presented in your portfolio. The folder and the photos in the folder aren't really hidden. We don't have hidden photos on photo.net. If you want to hide photos, why upload them? We are providing a photo critiquing forum, and for subscribers, a photo exhibition service, but we don't have the notion of hidden or private photos or folders.

Pnina, you can find the Photodrop folder on your "My Portfolio" page.

If you want it to be visible in your portfolio, change the Folder Sequence to a positive number.

If this feature is popular, I will probably make it possible for people to pick which of their folders is the one for a photo drop, rather than hard-coding it to be a folder with the specific name "Photodrop".

Brian, the last announce:

"You can also use this feature to email many photos at one time. Can somebody try uploading a bunch of photos in one mail?"

was written on my name, but I have not written it....

I have found the image. Thanks.

I uploaded a bunch of photos using Apple iPhoto (from the iLife '05 suite), using its e-mail

function. Turns out it simply launches Apple Mail to send the message. But it works fine

just the same.

I tried both reduced-size versions and full-size versions; no problems.

I will have a go at sending pictures with EXIF information, i.e., pictures that would be

rejected using the regular photo-add page.

Perhaps the confirmation e-mail could use a little "tarting up", though. Address it to the

member, provide a link to the Photodrop folder, sign it properly etc. But, obviously, let's

make sure there are no technical hitches before playing with the aesthetics of it.

My test photo with EXIF data, which generates the well-known error "File contains xml-

encoded preview data. ... " also causes a problem when sent to the photodrop address:

"/usr/local/bin/identify: no delegate for this image format (/web/photonet/photodrop/data/

attachments/attachment.1)."