Where you from mister?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raised in Toledo, OH. Went to William College, MA, Northwestern University, IL and

Harvard, MA. Still poorly educated, I'm told. Retired, live part of the year in Northbrook,

IL, part in Santa Barbara, CA. Shoot Leica III with 50mm Sumicron and Canon G-1 digital

for B & W infrareds. Closed down wet darkrooom in 1998. Leica currently in DAG's

hospital for a CLA.

39 and holding. houghton, michigan. archaeologist and photographer...got bit by wanderlust a long time ago. rooming with college kids cause it's cheap and they are willing photographic subjects. currently employed year to year by a university. been shooting for 24 years. still love it. always chasing light. learning swedish cause ya never know when you'll be in stockholm and need film processed...hoping to land a job in the arctic one of these days. farthest north i've been is longyearbyen, norway, on the svalbard archipelago. ha en god dag!

One of the things I liked about Sweden is that many of the people I met assumed I was

swedish, even though I am tiny (5'5") and look like my Scottish blood. I think they really

tend to assume that everyone there is Swedish, even if they don't necessarily look Swedish.

This may sound strange to some people, but after living so long in Japan and Russia, it is

nice to feel like people don't automatically assume you are an outsider. One of the US and

Canada's greatest redeeming qualities is that we assume that whomever we see is either

US or Canadian. Even if they don't speak English or French, we just assume they are recent

immigrants. Whereas even though I speak almost fluent Russian I was never regarded as

being anything but a guest there. Japan is even worse in this regard. But anyway, just an

observation.

Born and raised in the Wachau region of Austria (where the best white wines in this country, and possibly, all of Europe, are made...).

Moved to Vienna at the age of 18, have been living there ever since, except for one year abroad in Santa Barbara, CA, when I was an exchange student at UCSB at the age of 24.

Vienna is a great place when it comes to quality of life - good air, a lot of greenery, great public transport system, very safe, etc. - if only it were not so boring! There's nothing going on here at all...

I was born in New Bedford, Massachusettes 63 years ago, moved to North Miami in 1956 just shy of turning 14. For the next few years I drifted back and forth between my mom in N. Miami and my dad in New Bedford, but after getting married I settled in N. Miami, buying this house in 1967. Now I can't leave because I know where everything is in the darkroom, even in the dark, and the house is paid for!

Born Glasgow Scotland/ grew up Burbank California/ moved to Bellingham Washington (31yrs). Foolish man, taking up Leica after retiring from fire fighting. Began my vow of poverty with R6.2/ moved to R8 for bird photography and portraiture/ discovered M3 about 6 months ago/ now trying to figure out the next M series to buy and how to hide it from my wife (37yrs). Thanks for the question Craig.

Born, London UK. Now living in Cambridge UK. Just retired after 40 years in medical research, I now have time to enjoy my classic M6 and recently acquired M7. I've been using rangefinders for about 2 years afer using SLRs for 40 years (including DSLR recently).

My family and I moved to Colorado Springs from Tulsa, Oklahoma nine years ago. Two sons live at home, two sons away from home. Recently I received a digital camera, so I move back and forth between darkroom and computer. I have to say I like not having to spot skies in digital images; at the same time, I took my most recent picture--last evening--with a film camera. The digital camera lay at home on the floor underneath the coffee table. Born in 1951.

Born Chicago, educated east coast, lived in Maryland, Virginia, Calif., short stints in the Mediterranean, back in the Chicago area (Wauconda, IL). Shoot Leica M, R, Nikon and Bronica. Retired but busy as ever. Nature photography is my favorite. Enjoying the comradship of this and other forums (or is it fora?).

Born on the other side of the Niagara River from WJ Gibson 69 (gasp!) years ago, spent 22 years as an US Air Force gypsy, and 24 years as a Boeing nerd, now living in the Seattle, Washington area for the past 28 years. As a former professional meteorologist, I claim that Seattle has world's nicest summers offset by very dark, but mild, winters. I have three Leica LTMs sooned to be joined by an M3. I seem to be cursed by an obsession to possess every 35 mm camera ever mentioned by Ivor Matanle. My other favorite Englishman is Cambridge biologist Richard Dawkins (The Selfish Gene) who gives me hope that someday we in the US can unbuckle the bible belt which slid up to have a death grip around our neck. Best regards to all, and Happy Birthday, WJ! Keep those photos from the Niagara frontier coming. I sometimes dream of returning permanently to the region but then I remember the New York taxes and the Buffalo winters.