all around travel transparency film?

Trying to decide which transparency film will be good as an all around

film for a vacation in Asia in a few weeks. Im thinking I want

something saturated, as I will be shooting urban senics more than

anything, but something that doesnt go overboad on skin tones. As a

rule, I prefer higher contrast.

<P>Any suggestions? I will of course have time to test a couple films

prior to leaving, but would very much appreciate any thoughts.

It depends on the sort of effect you like in conjunction with the conditions you expect to encounter. I use Velvia probably 80% of the time because I like its look, take steps to deal with the contrast, and generally don't photograph people. Provia 100F is nearly as saturated in full sun, isn't as odd as Velvia with people, and will render delicate tones in low light much more accurately. The downside is that in dull weather and in shadow you may have to use a warming filter to avoid a bluish tone and colours lack punch.

If it were me I'd test Velvia vs Provia vs Kodak 100G before I go- but then I'd be almost certain to carry at least two types of film.

I was going to recommend Kodak 400UC negative film sent to <a href="http://www.dalelabs.com">Dale Labs</a> for printing as slides, but I see that Bill beat me to it.

<p>I shot negative film that way for years (until I converted to the Digital Faith this year) and found it much more convenient than slide film for travel. 400UC is probably the ideal all-around travel film. The speed is convenient for hand-holding in most light, the grain is fine enough even for 16x20 enlargements, and the color is nicely saturated but not "overboard." It also scans very well, if you ever plan to go that route. Dale's process for printing the slides on Kodak Vision film compensates for (reasonable) exposure, so you get much wider latitude than any slide film. You need only meter for the shadows for the best results.

<p>Like any slide film, the combination of 400UC and Vision print film has its own distinctive palette that you'll either like or dislike. I would recommend trying it to see if you like it. I think you'll enjoy both the slides and the convenience.

Astia 100f. It has lower contrast and wider lattitude than almost any other slide film, which I consider to be desirable attributes in an "all around travel" film. Grain is minimal and resolution very high. Colors are well saturated, but not cartoonish, as with a certain film favored by many landscape photographers. In my camera, I rate Astia at EI125 and get very satisfactory results.

Try Luckychrome 100 while you are there. I would use Kodachrome if you want slides to remember. Remember all the shots from when Nixon first went to China in the early 70's? All shot on Kodachrome.With Nikons and Pentax. And a few of the great wall were on Large format fut with an un disclosed film of Kodak choosing. It was a for runner of E-6. Check an old National Geographic from that time.

Larry