I have been looking through the archives to see what I need in terms

of a new tripod - I am reasonably sure that the one I have, while it

will support the camera, just isn't sturdy enough to provide a

stable platform.

I see where most people use ball heads and a quick release plate

designed for the P67. I am not that interested in a ball head, I

would prefer to get a geared head. So here are the questions:

1. With a geared head, is the dedicated quick release plate such as

that from Really Right Stuff as important as it is with a ball head?

2. What geared head would you recommend for use with a P67, or if

not recommended, then what pan head?

Thanks in advance.

Which geared head is a matter of taste and budget, but as for the quick release, I find that to be nearly a must-have for people who use tripods with regularity.

The elimination of the fumbling of screwing the camera to the tripod in a field situation is actually a safety factor when you're dealing with a weighty camera.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am looking at geared heads with quick release, but do I need a quick release plate such as those from Really right Stuff? That is, with a geared head, do you get more stability, and therefore not require the extra stability provided by the dedicated quick release plates, or is the provided generic quick release good enough?

Nigel,

Don't discount the P67 or P67ii as a handheld camera. I can't stand tripods and only use them when absolutley necessary. I shoot almost always handheld and I get great results with my p67. Just make sure you're set at at least 1/125th and you're golden. Obviously when shooting handheld your depth of field might come into play. I shoot maily people and like a shallower depth of field. Try it hand held.

GF

Nigel - here's my experience. I used a Bogen 410 geared head with several different tripods for the P67 and 67II cameras over the past 10 years or so. The quick release plate supplied with the head is fine. But you do have another option. Kirk makes an Arca-style clamp that fits in place of the Bogen plate. You can then put any style Arca plate on the bottom of the camera. I do think the Kirk plate with "wings" was very good. As to the geared head - I love it. I have two that I use regularly for both 35mm and medium format landscape work. It is not as fast to use as a ball head, but I'm never in a hurry anyway. I don't photograph animals. For slow shutter speeds where the camera may experience shutter slap that can affect sharpness, I used the technique of placing my left hand on the prism and pushing down to damp any vibrations. Always used my right hand to release the shutter, and use MLU for every shot. Hope this helps, Bob

Gary:

I have no problem with a tripod. I like doing night photography with exposure times measured in minutes. But, as mentioned, I also plan on doing some hand held. I think I am big enough and strong enough to handle a P67 hand held, light permitting.

Bob:

Thanks for the advice. I have actually been looking at the Manfrotto 410 geared head. It is good to know that I am not limiting my options of moving to a dedicated quick release plate by opting for that head. I see no need for the speed associated with the ball head. In fact, the slow deliberate movements of a gear head suit my style much better.

I don't use geared head tripods as I prefer the faster reporter style Gitzos. I DO use the Pentax brand, quick release kits for the P67/P645. They work fine on Gitzo ball-heads and are significantly less expensive compared to RRS. However the RRS mounts and brackets are "top-of-the-line" if you want them.

The main benefit of a good quick release plate on P67 is that it provides a very solid joint between camera and tripod, not only fastened by one small screw but with additional pins or contours to make the system unmovable, essentially similar to one piece (camera and end of tripod with no moving parts in between). The secondary benefit is that the camera is fast and easy to remove from this very solid support.

For this to work requires two things: 1- a plate that locks securely in place in the bottom of the camera. That is, not a general purpose plate that is fixed by one screw and can move freely if more tension is applied. 2-a clamp that is securely attached to the tripod head, again not with one centrally positioned screw but at least two screws that make the clamp unmovable.

It makes no difference whether the head itself is ball, geared or fluid. The system is only as strong as its weakest link, and often the weakest link is the screw mount under the camera. As far as I know, there are precious few geared heads available. Clearly the new Arca head must be among the best. I find the popular Manfrotto head fairly flimsy to use with such heavy camera with known sensitivity to vibrations.