Cheap wide angle rangefinder - is there one?

oofoto

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned it yet, but the Kodak Retina IIIS is a very interesting solution to your problem. It is a rangefinder camera with interchangeable lenses that will take the same lenses as the Retina Reflex III/IV, including the 28mm Curtagon. I have this combination and would recommend it. It should cost way less than $100 even including the standard 50mm lens. Add-on lens such as for the Yashica GN35 or the Petri Color are of no practical use, because their effect is very limited ( a "wide" at 37.7 and a "tele" at 57...)!

I think this is out your budget. There is a brand new film-based point-and-shoot super wide-angle camera introduced awhile ago by Fujifilm, called Natura S. It has 24mm lens and a super fast aperture at f1.9. It is only sold (~USD $320, I think) in Japan, thought. Fujifilm also introduced Natura 1600 color print film to go with the camera.

Imaging what you can do with 1600 and f1.9? Wow!

Cheers;

If a P&S with autofocus (that is, no rangefinder) is acceptable, there was a Konica WIDE 28mm produced some years ago. This was a rather large affair, but also offered the additional advantage of a very sturdy, weather-proof construction. I bougtht one on a flea market with the idea of using it outdoor without having to bother ro protect it, but then I discovered that the film advance is kaputt and nobody wants to repair it.

• 11 years later...
Try the Yashica 35CC, not a 28 but a 35. It's a true rangefinder with an outstanding lens!

Todd

I can DOUBLY confirm this. I have the Yashica electro 35 CCN and it has an astonishingly sharp f/1.8 lens which is extremely rare for cameras in the $100 price range. NO vignetting. The Nikon SP is a 28mm and costs $1500 so there's your comparison. It is also as small as an Olympus 35 RC and almost as light. I have to mention though the Yashica did give me trouble recently with the rangefinder sporadically not showing up in the viewfinder... will have it fixed soon though... found a guy in Cape Town that does Yashicas and will post back here.

For LTM lenses, as well as I know 35mm is the shortest you get before retrofocus designs.

With SLRs, they had to go retrofocus earlier, and somehow manage to make affordable lenses.

When I got my Nikon FM almost 40 years ago, I got the AI 35/2.0 with it, and no 50mm lens.

That might still be my favorite lens. Wide enough to get much in the frame, but not so wide as to

get unusual 'wide angle' effects. I also have the AI 24/2.8 which is sometimes fun.

-- glen

The Electro 35 you mention isn't a 28mm lens, but rather a 45mm lens. If you put the focal length aside, the Yashinon lens on these cameras is a superb lens and the RF focusing works very well if properly adjusted (although not quite as bright as my Leicas), it is bright enough for most work. The main issue with these cameras, though, is the electronics which control exposure. Many of them exhibit erratic (think semi-corroded) internal connections, which may or may not be easy to fix (the one I had was a pretty easy fix).

Assuming the OP hasn't already found such a camera (as thread started in '05) one possibility would be to find one of the Cosina-made Voitlanders (the one without the rangefinder) which often sell for around 100 USD for body only. Add the Snapshot Skopar, which is a 25mm wide angle. They're not too pricey depending on condition. You will need a separate finder. The camera has match diode metering.

You may try a Fed or Zorki with an LTM wide angle lens. The bodies will be available aplenty. The lens will take some search and waiting. These cameras are less expensive but by no means "cheap" in quality. The Soviet wide angle lenses also may be more expensive than the regular 50mm lenses. The Feds and Zorkis make magnificent pictures. You may search for posts on this Forum's archives for examples. Best, SP.

Signet 70 has a 35 mm lens available. Mine works well and the lens is competent. Smerna 8 (Soviet has Lomo 40 mm lens whih is supposed to be very good The camera is plastic and feels like a toy but turns out good stuff. The problem is a lot of them have been disassemble for their Lomo lens. It still holds the record for the most cameras sold world wide for a single model. The Chaika has a 25mm lens and half but it is a toy. Have a Retina 40m mm, I have a bunch of early Zorkis and Feds that work and I know there are 28mm lenses for them

Cheap means about Canon QL17 GIII territory!" oofoto aka. Paul Marbs

I don't know about early 28mm lenses as a "people"/"street shooter" (Because of distortion). But you did say cheap:

For easilly less than $100 including the shipping, you have the choice of either the Minox 35 ML or the Minolta AL-F. Both are full frame compacts that have 38mm or less focal lengths. The Minolta has RF focusing & an excellent meter with shutter priority auto. The Minox has the opposite "Guesstimation" focus with aperture priority auto metering (Plus also a Program setting).

My testing shows the German made Minox lens to be sharper, but the Minolta feels great with it's traditional design.

Like my kids, I can't say which one I love more...P1010661.JPG.346f6d6e1d2cfeaef6f05dbe158dff73.JPG

Edited by Gus Lazzari

In the days of classic manual rangefinders, a 28mm was considered a virtual "ultrawide". Thus any RF combination with a 28mm lens from that period is likely to be expensive and hard to find.

A more modern, point-and-shoot zoom lens (probably AF, too) Film RF is going to be more available and affordable as already mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...
I would just add that, zone focusing or not, the Olympus XA2 (and XA3 which is the same with auto ISO detection and better loading) is a very nice camera to use, its 35 mm. lens giving sufficient depth of field for most purposes without bothering to switch the focus. I've taken many pictures with mine, which came out well, even at poster size. I would expect the XA4's 28 to be equally decent, so although one might prefer a rangefinder, I would not eliminate the XA's from consideration. The XA2's reliable metering, instant firing, and manual advance make it a dandy low tech pocket point and shoot.

The XA-4 has enough depth of field that focusing is not usually an issue. There is some light fall off, but not as bad as on the original XA. The original strap that comes with the XA-4 is the correct length for the close focus setting. I once had one (and loved the images) but sold mine in as-is condition when the shutter release began to function only intermittently. Used ones sell for more than any of the other XA series cameras. For a real cheap, but not so wide lens, look at the XA-1. It has a fixed focus 35mm f4 (surprisingly good) and a selenium cell meter that delivers programmed automation from 1/30 at f4 to 1/250 at f22. Two ISO settings: 100 and 400. Often sells for less than a single use camera.