B&W Process Question

david carver

I just recently started processing B&W film. My question is a basic

one. I use a steel tank and it takes some time to pour the developer

in. Should I start the timer when all the developer is in or when I

start pouring? I tried the search function and could not find my

answer. Maybe I don't know how to use it because I thought that I

would have found a prior thread on it. Thanks in advance.

I think it you can do either, just do it the same way every time.

Most of what I develop is Delta 400 in DDX. If I use the normal dilution (1:4), the stock development time is 8 minutes at 68F. The 10 seconds to pour in the chemistry is roughly 2% of the total time. I have gone to 1:8 for 12 minutes. The pour time is now 1.4%. Both of these percentages are small enough to not make a huge difference.

If I were to do it one way with one roll and the other with a different roll, the difference in development time would be roughly 4%. That may not be enough to notice but there could be something that I just can't put my finger on that would be different between the two sets of negatives.

You may want to take all of this with a grain of salt. I have just discovered the meaning of "hard to print negative" as I have moved from scanning my negatives to enlarging.

-- Rob

I start timing when all the solution is in the tank (i.e. below the funnel and covering the film). It means that the bottom reel has say 5-10 seconds more development than the top, but over a development time or 10 or 15 minutes this is completely unnoticeable. My advice is not to worry about it.

David...

I used to just split the difference, and hit the timer when I figured the tank was about half full. Then I heard it suggested that if the timer was started before pouring, the difference would be made up on the other end if the tank was dumped out such that the dumping was complete just as the time ran out. Makes sense to me. You might figure that the bottom edge would then get more development than the top edge...but of course this would happen no matter how you did the timing.

At any rate, I don't think it makes a bit of difference as long as you are using developing times in excess of 6 minutes or so.

It doesn't matter, as long as you do it the same way every time. You're going to establish your own personal EI and development time for best results, and that will take into account whatever method you choose, as long as you're consistent. My personal method is to start the timer when I'm done pouring and the tank is full. I start dumping the chems when I have 20 seconds left on the timer. I also prefer longer development times, so timing precision isn't very important. If you warm the tank by a degree or so during the process, by holding it in your hand and not using a water bath, you'll have far more effect on the negative development, than a timing error of 15-60 seconds. Ditto if your thermometer is off by a degree or so. Thus, consistency plus personal EI and development :-)

Wow, I really appreciate all your responses. I guess that consistency more than anything else is the most important thing. I will stick with a set routine. I do use a water bath and really watch the temperature of the water bath.

On a side note, I am having a lot of fun with processing B&W. For me, it is really a welcome change from my D70. This forum has been a big help and I thank everyone that responded.

David,

I know the feeling, except it is my wife that has the D70. Since she got that, I have not really run any color film through my camera. Now I just shoot B&W for fun and relaxation. Those on the digital side say it seems like too much work. I guess it would be if I didn't enjoy the process as much as the final result.

--Rob