why photos?

<i>"Photography is for those who have no real talent to do anything else. It is a field filled with losers and malcontents, most of whom suffer to some degree from attention deficit disorder."</i><p>

I know there is a heavy dose of sarcasm in your saying that. Every field (most especially quilting) has its share of nerds and geeks and freaks. There are people who paint well or play music with great talenm who have no aptitude at all for photography. and worst of all, there are people who are good at photography with no aptitude on the computer editing their own work.

I spent my whole life doing music as my sole creative outlet. We bought a VHS-C video camera that had a digital still function (640X480) about 10years ago. I found I liked playing around with the stills more than the video, and my wife suggested I "take up photography". I shrugged that off for a couple years, but a latent interest going back to my teen years and my adventures with my Dad's Ricoh VI TLR (which I still have), finally emerged when I decided I wanted to do "something visual". So I bought an SX-70 and a flatbed scanner. I later turned out that a car racing buddy was a pro photographer, and he turned me on to all kinds of art photographers like Walker Evans, William Eggleston, William Christenberry, Stephen Shore, Meyerowitz, HCB and on and on. As this was all new to me it brought me back to the excitement of discovering all the jazz greats back when I was a kid. One thing led to another. Also the medium offers a certain technical ease, and instant gratification that I wouldn't find in painting, or drawing, although I plan on taking up drawing soon to help further train/tune my eye. I didn't choose it, it seems more like it chose me over the course of events, and I still do music, but photography claims more of my attention than I ever would have imagined.

<i>"Tim Holte spoke the hard unvarnished truth in his post."</i><p>

He did not. Basic consumer photography of snap shots, maybe. That's not what is really discussed in a photo philosophy forum. I think poetry is more of any everyman's medium. It's free, expressive, and "everyone can do it."

<i>"Ken, can you really say with a straight face that you are not a malcontent?"</i><p>

Why would you think that? I stick up for what I do because of the investment I've made in it (tangible and otherwise) and taught others (spreading the meme). If photography is "so easy" then why do 99.9% of the photo-shooting public not have a clue? Photography is not cheap nor is it easy.<p>

I see no difference either in painting -- hacks paint (badly) and true artists paint. You cannot compare their output. You ought to be defending your work and not cheapening it because of the excellent work you do Tim.<p>

I have nothing against a little self deprecation but lumping all shooters into one silly bucket doesn't seem wise.

• 11 months later...
I got "hooked" early in my senior year of high school when a friend showed me how to develop and print black and white. Soon I was shooting for the school paper and the yearbook. After high school I suppose it was the easiest way I knew to earn a living "without really working". I never seemed to have much trouble finding clients.