Rodinal Transport/Shipping

aa

So I'm halfway across the country and I found a store that had

excess Rodinal in stock. I bought 3x500ml bottles of said Rodinal.

Now I have to get it and myself home. I'm flying back tomorrow and

I see three choices.

1. Check it in my suitcase.

2. Send it to myself via USPS or UPS.

3. Wait until I can drive it home.

Notes:

1. http://www.myregs.com/dotrspa/goto.asp?

ref=CFR49_I_C_175_A_25&shopos=no

This would seem to indicate that ANY hazardous materials are not

allowable on airplanes, either checked or on person.

2. I can find nothing at all that prohibits sending properly

packaged hazardous material in small quantity. I have the original

packaging that has all chemical information on the shipping box.

Surely I can ship this via ground? I seem to recall people buying

Rodinal and getting it shipped to them in the mail?

3. Longer option.

Rodinal is not really a hazardous substance. It contains some potassium hydroxide but not really in enough of a concentration to be "hazardous". In the U.S., of course, I think even concentrated potassium hydroxide is only a "hazardous material" when you get more than 2 imperial pounds of it together. Larger quantities in 500ml bottles may be shipped without any hazmat surcharge by ground. We are talking, however, about Rodinal and NOT caustic potash. Key is concentration. Ethanol too is a "hazardous substance" and is, in addition, a flammable liquid, yet wine, beer and even a few bottles of vodka are well within the realm of acceptable luggage. If we were to apply the same logic to view Rodinal as a "hazardous material" in the context of air traffic safety we'd have to extend the domain of the regulations to include hairspray, mouth wash, colognes, many deodorants, matches, lighters and an assortment of other items common to traveler's luggage the world over. In the U.S. Federal regulations do indeed limit these materials but also explictly exempt them in what might be viewed as personal quantities: "<cite>Non-radioactive medicinal and toilet articles (including aerosols) may be carried in checked or carry-on baggage. </cite>" and "<cite>(iv) The aggregate quantity of hazardous materials carried by the person may not exceed 2 kg (70 ounces) by mass or 2 L (68 fluid ounces) by volume and the capacity of each container may not exceed 0.5 kg (18 ounces) by mass or 470 mL (16 fluid ounces) by volume.</cite>". If there is a problem then its the 500 ml bottles....

I know this is probably too late to do you any good, but I thought I'd mention my experience for the record. I live in Mexico, where I don't have a reliable supplier of photo chemicals, so I fly them down in my luggage whenever I take a trip up north. On the last trip, two 500 mL bottles of Rodinal disappeared from my suitcase, and I assume that it was the TSA who removed them. I've never had other problems in the past, even with 125 mL bottles of Rodinal, but I don't know if that's because of luck or the smaller size.