Film vs. Digital or..... DIGITAL V. DIGITAL PRINTING

Tony Rowlett

<I> Leica forum equals Leica discussion, period. Also, some of you need to stop posting

pictures that were not taken with a leica. </I><P>

Todd, you really need to refrain from trying to take on the position of moderator. This is not

YOUR forum.

www.citysnaps.net

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter A wrote: "Seems that the forum is finally giving Capn Al the message...about time too."

I have a radical idea. No one has mentioned Al's name for a few hours (except you) and Al hasn't responded.

Why don't ALL the combatants just ignore each other, give it a rest, and discuss something photographic? Wouldn't that be an interesting change! (^O^)

<i>Al, you started it, big time this time! There was no need for you to bring up Brad who hadn't even contributed to the thread; it was totally unfair of you. This is a war that needs to stop!!</i>

<br><br>

So I'm confused - coming from a moderator does that mean that Al is now [finally] banned?

"Sascha, [h]e's had enough."

Humphrey Bogart said this, memorably, when he saw Brad secretly adding Starbucks low fat latte frappacino to Al's stop bath some years ago. Seems they'd been arguing over a lens formula or a Janis Joplin recording or something -- neither could quite recall what started it.

For his part, Al had surreptitiously programmed a 47% Gaussian blur action into Brad's computer, depriving every image Brad opened in Photoshop of sharpness to the point where Brad was actually considering purchasing a film rangefinder with Leica lenses ... until he awoke in a cold sweat.

This was either a feature film or an episode of the "The Twilight Zone," or possibly "Car 54 Where Are You?" I can't recall which.

High drama, though -- that much I guarantee.

<I>Why don't ALL the combatants just ignore each other...</I><P>

Interesting.<P>

Apparently I'm a combatant when I ask Al to stop referencing my name in posts where I

haven't participated. Or when someone references leica-bashing and I ask for a citation

(which they can never seem to provide). <P>

I really do think there is only one "combatant" (along with his one supporter and

spokesman) who is constantly stirring up the pot. This forum could really move forward

and be great again if they were forced to accept some time-out for reflection.

www.citysnaps.net

I don't mean to be lowbrow, but take your digital files to Wal-Mart and have them printed. A 4x6 is 19 cents and they really do look great. (I cannot vouch for color change or longevity at this time.)

I've printed at least a few dozen prints from my Digilux 2 at Wal-mart...they look fine.

--- JDR

Tony, I hope your question has been answered. Feel free to drop in on the Digital Darkroom forum - your question, at its roots, is no different than many others over there.

This has been enlightening for me. I think it is impossible to have a serious discussion on this forum regarding anything but the latest aspheric Summicron or something. This thread is like eavesdropping on a ladies' bridge party, at least as I would imagine it to be.

Tony: I got a headache about halfway through the thread, so I've skipped to the bottom. I wanted to say that, unworthy as I am of expensive inkjet paper at this point in my learning curve, I have discovered some reasonably priced stuff to practice with. I though I would pass the brands along. I've had luck with:

hp everyday photo paper (semi-gloss, 44 lb)

Great White Imaging and Photo Paper (Matte, 37lb, 92 brightness)

Columbian Ink Jet presentation paper (28lb. matte)

The first two are the best.

I look for bargains in Office Depot, Office Max, etc. I've gotten poor results with plain copy paper.

Hmmmmmmm, guess this thread just confirms that to be a Leica user one must be part of a group that is by and large ostentatious and puerile, behaviour that could be found in any Kindergarten (preschool to all you Americans)

Tony, on topic, but off topic for some here. The

http://www.computer-darkroom.com

site recommended much further up the thread by a couple of the saner members here, before it rapidly degenerated into childish oneupmanship, would be an excellent place to get a good grounding in how to go about getting good prints from you Epson printer and how to 'soft proof' your computer and printer in concise but easily understood language. Much more informative than any short post of advice on our wonderful pnet community could ever be;-)

I also tried several times to get a direct link for you to follow, but the previous recommender's succeeded where i cannot for some reason.

Please do not delete this ridiculously funny thread, after all it is the silly season.

So much animosity on this forum. Good thing you're not all sitting at a table ... and armed.

I can imagine the scenario ... arguments about how Cap and Ball users can shoot just as

accurately as Glock users. Al would shoot himself much to the delight of Kevin, and Brad

would claim it never happened, and ask for proof as he brushed bone shards off his shirt.

Travis would attend with a really nice photo of a gun, and Peter would show up with an anti-

tank rocket. The final melee would begin when a fondler accidentally discharges his Mint

Navy Luger with matching shoulder stock holster, leaving no one but a moderator to shut off

the lights and brick up the door : -)

I've read through all the replies so far, haven't seen QTR mentioned, and I can't for the life of me think why. QTR is worth considering if you do a lot of B&W printing with a 2200 loaded with the standard colour ink set. I was never attracted to the coarseness of BO printing (well, I am a lady, honest) so I tried IJC/OPM. That works very well, but I'm sure that QTR works just as well at a lower price. Both of them need some effort to get great results, but that's the same with trad. B&W printing, isn't it? There's a Yahoo group for QTR users, and one for digital B&W printing.

Oh, and if you want to cut ink costs, and stay with Epson Ultrachrome inks, you could suck the juice out of the 110 ml cartridges for the 4000 and spit it into refillable cartridges for the 2200. Whether or not you add in some venom is your choice.

I wouldn't spend $1000 on software for the 2200. If you were going to spend any serious money, I'd suggest selling the 2200 (or keeping it for B&W printing with a set of dedicated inks) and buying an R2400. That's the best way to improve your B&W printing, and the way to get stunning glossy prints. You can get great B&W prints from the 2200 though.

Best, Helen