Your Best WEDDING shot of 2005

think27

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry that I broke the rules. here is my repost so that mary can delete my other ones.

these two are not my absolute best shots, b/c my absolute best shot is being held hostage by a client who doesn't want to show anyone. it's THAT emotionally powerful. if you see it, all of the happy/sad feelings would come back, you could be crying for a few hours, and productivity would suffer. I don't want to have someone file a lawsuit , so I'm posting my second best images here.

:-)

left side - Canon 20D, probably ISO 400, probably 1/60th at f4. 24-70 L 2.8 at 70mm, probably. I was wearing an off the rack suit at the time of exposure.

right side - Canon 20D, probably ISO 200, probably 1/800th at f2.8. 24-70 L 2.8 at 70mm, probably. I was wearing an off the rack suit at the time of exposure, but with my jacket removed. My feet hurt a little bit, if I recall correctly, and I was a touch dehydrated as well ;-)<div>00Ebsl-27119584.jpg.34ae7aebb9583754642b148487829e3e.jpg</div>

CINDY S --Great shots!--the post work in PS is fantastic >> except I would be frightened, that every client, would want their work manipulated in this manner > and not have the budget for you to produce every image to this quality. Do you receive much pressured request >> from the B&G ?

<i>Marcin. double check your browser settings on the graphics compression...looks OK on my monitor. Nice shots......</i>

<p>Thanks David for kind words :).<br>

My browser settings are ok. I just compared this to original and they look bad in comparison, because I had to compress them pretty aggresively to meet photo.net rules (image cannot exceed 100KB, and in my case each image cannot be bigger than 50KB :(

<p>Still, DWF has much more strict rules (image no larger than 40KB, unless it's hosted on your website) so I'm not complaining

I don't shoot weddings....well, I shot my daughter's a few years ago. And I felt that I did not do my best with it........until I saw this thread. Thanks Mary for starting this, it changes my opinion of my own (one) wedding efforts for the better.

This is not meant to slam anyone's work...just a personal note to myself. It's just that what I see above leaves me with the thought.........seems there are two very, VERY distinct levels of wedding photographers.....the extremely good, and the extremely mediocre. I won't mention names, because that is not what I intend this comment to be......I just think some people should strive for a little higher goal.....

having said that........yeah, Chris Uglanica.......that pic ROCKS!

Conrad:

<my absolute best shot is being held hostage by a client who doesn't want to show anyone. ..........I don't want to have someone file a lawsuit , so I'm posting my second best images here.>

What kind of contract are you having your clients sign? Your contract should give you the right to use any picture to advertise your work as a wedding photographer. In fact, you should OWN all rights under the contract, unless you agree to give them up.

Regards,

Marv Stasak

"I just think some people should strive for a little higher goal....."

Perhaps you could have done the same...

What purpose does your post serve but to let others know you feel so much better since you're able to compare your work and slam theirs? No one asked for the critique, and certainly no one asked how you feel about the work you did at your daughter's wedding. Why not post an image from that wedding along with the comment...see how long you keep that warm & fuzzy feeling...really, Thomas, your comment was completely uncalled, but, hey, as long as you feel better about your self...that's all that matters. Have a Happy Holiday.

Reina

"...see how long you keep that warm & fuzzy feeling..."...reina...you took my post completely wrong. Let me explain. I've listened to Marc, who is one of the extremely good, btw, talk about how bad some wedding photographers are, the buy a digital and shoot a wedding things he said, and my thoughts were, well at least it doesn't show up here. Turns out, I was wrong............and it was a major surprise to me. Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything.....but, then again, how else do people learn and strive for something better if no one says anything. It was meant to help..........not hurt.

there aint no warm and fuzzy............i still dont think I did all that well with my one attempt...........besides, I hated the rush, rush rush of it all..........that aint me

Thomas, my apologies if I misread your post, but it did come across as a bit mean-spirited to me. Many of the photogs are new & trying their best and it was disheartening to see such a post amongst their exuberance.

Again, my apologies, and best wishes for the New Year. Reina.

Thomas, I think you have me confused with someone else. "I've listened to Marc, who is one

of the extremely good, btw, talk about how bad some wedding photographers are ..." I strive

to NOT say "bad" things like that about anyone's work. I think you are lumping me in with

complainers or something. If I did say anything like that in the past, I apologize ... but of

course would like a link to the statement to make sure it wasn't taken out of context ; -)

Bad wedding photographers are those who take money and skip town. Any other judgement

is purely subjective.

ok, Marc....It's been awhile since the thread <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00CGfo"><u>...is our craft dumbing down?</U></a>, and I took a lot of what you said in that and thru my own words onto it...namely I used "bad photographers" and should have used "bad photographs". But, what you said in that thread stuck in my head. And I just think some of the above "photographs" could have been made better had a lot more people heeded what you were talking about in that thread. I also thought of my only attempt and what I would do next time....which will probably be when my son gets married. I really don't have the temperment for that job, and I really do admire anyone....yes, even the bad photographs...that can do that type of work......anyhow....<br><br>"So it's okay to shoot bad photographs and fix them later depending on who you are or who you are shooting for? The point was to shoot them right in the first place. Which actually fulfills all the criteria you outlined. The concerned artist improves their work. The financially motivated have to do less work afterwards (time is money), and those catering to long hours for minimum wage, might be able to move up a notch. "Dumbing down" is in reference to poor basic camera skills or none at all ... which result in images that shouldn't have been taken in the first place, let alone warrant hours in PS to repair. Without SOME standards, even the most basic ones, this is hardly a profession. Instead it becomes something that commands little respect for the experience, craft and art required to provide a professional product." - Marc Williams<br><br>

heh....you did know that thread would come back to haunt you...

"...But without mastery of your craft, your art will suffer regardless of what's in your hand as a tool ... and you'd be better off returning to an Oatmeal box with a pin-hole in it...." - Marc Williams

Ok......now I'll shut up.

Post some more pics people, I promise I won't say a word.

Happy Holidays to all of you and all of yours......and above all, be safe...