Camera straps: do they ever break?

rhaytana__tim_adams_

I just bought an Op-tech EZ-Comfort Strap, which will support about

nine pounds of gear dangling from my neck. The optech web site sites

a recommended load of ten pounds for this strap. Recommended load,

according to the site, is for comfort. Not breakage concerns.

Still, I worry. Do camera straps break? Has it happened to any of

you other photo.net users? To a friend? I shudder to think of the

seams ripping out and all that expensive gear crashing around my feet.

The optech is a great strap and I use it with my heavy Hasselblad equipment all the time without a problem. The only camera strap I've ever seen break were the old SLR leather or leatherette covered ones that cracked over time and got brittle. The bigger problem is ensuring you install the strap correctly because I've experienced straps working their way undone before.

In the bad old days, LEATHER straps would eventually dry out and fail. I can't

say that I've heard any anecdotal stories of strap failure here in recent times.

(I imagine that some photojournalist who uses his gear hard might very well

pipe up with some instances, but I don't travel in those circles.)

Plastic buckles and connectors tend to be the weak link these days, usually

involving user error: a quick-release connector that hasn't been properly

seated, and pulls open because it hasn't locked.

From an engineering point of view, there IS something to be said for having a

strap that is NOT of infinite strength: in the event of a catastrophic accident, it's

probably best to LET the strap be the weak link, and having the strap fail first,

BEFORE the camera lugs - or the photographer's neck.

I have had an Op/Tech strap fail, though not quite to the point of breaking. This did occur after a couple of years of use hauling around a 20lb medium format kit, and it was a gradually occurring failure not a sudden catastrophic one. I should also say that I went right out and bought another strap by the same manufacturer because they are pretty comfortable to use.

I have had two plastic strap quick releases that failed in the past few years. One was new and just defective. The other must have gotten cracked from someone stepping on it or something. On one the equipment fell, but was not significantly damaged. The other I caught before destroying anything. I always check these things now.

If I have a critical piece of sewn gear I will stress-test by applying 1.5 to 2x my intended carry-weight, thus 18 lbs in your case should do it. Observe the seams as you do so.

I remove the strap or sewn peice and hang dead weight from a bag (books, rocks, etc.) and observe the seams. Many seams are not sewn w/ a lock-stitch. If they begin to *go*, then they practically come *unzipped*. An easy remedy is to apply a bead of Shoe-Goo or seam sealer, any type of durable / waterproof glue that will penetrate the seam. If, after several years of abrasion, one portion of the seam becomes worn-through, the entire seam won't *unzip*.

Op-Tech straps that have a strap or loop that goes through a D-ring on the camera are arguably the safest. The plastic QR clips may fail, but tend to do so as you attach them. The clip will still hold if only one "ear" remains. The stitched joints of the Op-Tech distribute the load better and wear less than rivets and swivels in metal joints.

I have had straps with metal clips fail when the strap twists just so and the clips release when placed under load - both bags and cameras. Fortunately, this happened just as I picked them up. I have also had leather/leatherette straps fail where attached to metal ends. I replaced the straps when I noticed the cracking, before the camera had a chance to fall. I have also had two swivel connectors fail on camera bags (LowePro) after extensive use. (I no longer use swivels - I pull the strap through the D-rings directly and buckle them down.) I won't use my 50 year old Rollei strap because leather is subject to mildew attack and can fail suddenly even if it looks normal from the outside.

I can't imagine anyone carrying a 10 pound camera on a neck strap, much less a 20 pound MF camera, if one even exists. My entire Hasselblad kit weighs about 28 pounds, and I use a backpack.

A little hyperbole, perhaps.

I have used Op-Tech straps on both my F5 (from 1996 to now) and on my F6 since I got it when it came out. I always take pliers and press the ends (where the hole goes over the nub) to be sure it is on as tightly as possible.

I have never had a strap of any kind fail, though.

Conni

Thanks to all who responded. The expensive straps at the camera shop all included plastic quick release snaps ... which might work just fine 99.9% of the time, but which still struck this shopper as a potential weakest link.

Several respondents have mentioned problems with these snaps, so I now feel grateful that I passed them up.

The plastic quick release snaps are the weakest link as other have said. What I do with all of mine is to use an electrical plastic wire tie available at all hardware shops to make sure that those plastic snaps can not come undone. they even come in the color black. this works very well. Hope this is some help.

I've used Tamrac and Op Tech straps for years, some with my Hasselblad, bracket and Metz potato masher flash, which weighs a lot. None have broken, but I do check them periodically, and if I see ripped threads or worn fibers, etc., I replace them. Checking and replacing seems to be the best preventive method. New straps and straps not worn down--of any design--probably all have a very good chance of not breaking.

I had my Op Tech Cam / Bino harness come unclipped constantly, and I emailed the

company. Three days later, I had a personal response from the president of the company,

his business card, and some newly designed camera loops (which were the part that failed).

Talk about awesome service - I am now a very loyal Op Tech customer.

I should qualify- I put my strap on my bag, not my camera, though that wouldn't seem to make a lot of difference to its ability to support weight up to its supposed tariff. It was the neoprene that failed, not the clips, and actually I note from my records that it failed after a year -though I'd previously had another which wore over several years but never failed.

I know nothing about Optech products. I have a folder which fell down 2 times due to the bad condition of the NRC's leather strap after 30+x years. I also own at least one backpack of that kind and should do well to replace some recently made leather strap for my 2nd Leica.

With elastic (Neoprene) straps it is good to stay within their recommended payload, otherwise the camera will bounce up and down on these bungee-straps.

Until now I felt rather comfortable with average original straps. Sometimes one can get used ones dirt cheap.

30+ years ago, I was photographing Britt Hume (now of Fox News, then a headlines-making

investigative reporter covering the Watergate scandal) while he was addressing a crowd of

university students. Standing right behind him as he spoke, I shouldered my prized, black

Nikon FTN while picking up another camera with a different focal length. The leather strap

parted and the Nikon fell to the concrete, landing on the meter head with the most sickening

crunch I've ever heard short of a limb breaking. Hume turned, looked at me with immediate

sympathy at what had just happened, shook his head and resumed his speech.

"No more leather straps"!

• 5 months later...