Infrared film

mbranciforte

Hi everyone,

I was very interested to try shooting on infrared film, but I have

no experience and don't know where to begin.

I was wondering if someone could explain to me a good film to try

and how to go out using it along with some tips for shooting.

Greatly looking forward to your help.

Thank you very much,

Michael

For an introduction to IR film and metering, consult:

http://www.davidromano.com/

Kodak made a very good film called High Speed. You can probably find it in 35mm, but it looks as if Kodak is dropping all other formats.

The only film in all formats 35mm, 120, 4x5, etc is the MACO 820c. MACO is supposed to bring out a faster version of this film soon. I would suggest that if you want to do this for the long haul, I would start with MACO since it is a new film from a company that appears to be looking to the future.

Metering for IR is tricky at best. If you get serious, David Romano converts a MInolta meter that can be configured to MACO or Kodak films.

I've used the Kodak and Maco films that Bruce wrote about. Now I use the Maco product because I mostly use IR film in 4x5 and Kodak discontinued their product in sheet form. The Maco film works well: you need a deep red or IR filter. The Maco IR 820c film is slow, so in practice you need to use your camera on a tripod.

Here is a question in this forum about the Maco film from several days ago: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00ETJz

I use Kodak HIE, rating it at 400 ASA and shooting through an R25 filter. I would recommend using an incident meter to avoid the problems which sometimes occur with TTL metering when the meter is red-sensitive. However, if you do use the camera's TTL metering, just check that the reading drops 3 stops when the R25 filter is put on the lens.

I tried a 35mm roll of the new Maco/Rollei 400 IR film.Although the Wood effect (White leaves,grass) is not as marked as with the Kodak IR film,the grain is much finer,IMO.(I developed it in Xtol 1+2 16min 68F)

It can just about be hand held in 35mm,I used 1/15sec at f 5.6 plus and minus a stop in weak winter sun, this with a near opaque 89B filter (similar to Hoya R72)

Good for landscapes where more detail rather than Wood effect is wanted.