Looking for a scanner

I am currently in the market for a 35mm film/negative scanner. My

budget is fairly tight. I was wondering what everyone thinks about the:

Plustek OpticFilm 7200

Konica Minolta Scan Dual IV

The Plustek has the better specs (at 7200dpi), but I have a hard time

finding someone with personal experiance with it.

I would like to have the option to print at about 11x14.

Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

The Plustek isn't the best scanner in the world, but then it was never going to be at the price it's offered at. saying that, however, it's not actually that bad - and there are more expensive well known branded products out there that do a worse job than the Plustek. The real thing to worry about with it is the loader tray which is made out of extremely flimsy plastic, so don't expect it to last long if you mistreat it. I think people have cottoned on to this problem and you can get replacement trays off Ebay for a small amount of money. Buy several at a time because it will break at some point...

The Minolta is certainly the better built machine, and probably has it over in the quality department too... but if you're on a really tight budget, the Plustek will do you fine.

You could always upgrade later!

Go for the Konica Minolta Scan Dual IV, it's unbeatable in its price range, I've got one and I am very satisfied. I don't know about the Plustek, but in order to make a good film scanner, a company needs to invest quite a lot of money in research and development, so stick with bigger brands I would say.

• 3 months later...