A Hero Icon for Huw Finney - A Nomination

owen w.

Well, Bob, I'm from 'Chicaga' (though I generally think of it a wunnerful city, not a state), so I'll take your recommendation:

I shaved and changed clothes and now I'm back to cast my 2nd vote for Huw.

And if somebody would kindly distract those poll-watchers for a minute or two -- maybe offer 'em a hot dog or something -- I'll be back again.

And over here too for Huw Finney!

I've been "lurking" for the last few months but always keep an eye out for what wonderful technical insights Huw has imparted to the rest of us.

The nature of my work as a harpsichord maker has given me a fair degree of skill working to very close tolerances and a deep familiarity with both machine and hand tools, but I wouldn't dream of taking my Leicas apart and attempting his feats of machining.

Best, David

I have taken time off from the internet the past few months so I have been out of the know, but from what I remember of his first technical undertakings shared, I would vote for him based on those.

I agree with Trevor that Huw, of course deserves one if anyone does but that the current hero system could be made more transparent.

I think that originally, simply frequent posting qualified the member for an icon, but I could be wrong.

Well, this is clearly the most "successful" posting I've ever had on photo.net. It was simply too obvious, I suppose, not to gain strong support from everyone who loves this forum. By now, I would hope the moderators will have noticed.

<p>

It is time to let Huw put something INTO that golden goblet and celebrate properly.

<p>

While I do think Trevor does raise a valid point about the entire notion of Hero status, and while this may be grounds for a solid round of reflection and discussions, I think there is no need to delay THIS particular Hero Icon award.

<p>

Clearly, the members (and quite a few recalcitrant non-paying lurkers) are all strongly supportive.

<p>

So, dear moderators, Please Announce Thy Decision!

<p>

I, in the meantime, may then be allowed to happily gloat my vicarious accomplishment.

<p>

Owen

Michael S., very good idea! Maybe we can get Al to ditch all the votes for the other guy :-)

Huw gets my vote too, but take that with a grain of salt as german votes don't change much nowadays and we may get a half Huw half Frank hero then ;-)

• 6 months later...