When your M's a letdown

paul_chan4

" We read threads here extolling the virtues of the M. I know, the quiet feature, excellent lenses, bokeh"

You never read that from me. To me they have 3 virtues: small size (of lenses moreso than the bodies), the ability to for me to hand-hold at 1-2 stops slower shutter speeds, and the ability to see the subject at the moment of exposure, not blanked out while the mirror is up.

"But surely there were times when you felt your M was a letdown for some reason, whether it was the camera or some self-induced error."

Self-induced error. I'm not afraid to admit that.

"I mean those moments when you wish you had that big chunky SLR instead."

The only big chunky SLR I own is a Hasselblad, and I bring it whenever I can handle the weight and volume of the outfit plus a sturdy tripod, because I'd always rather have medium-format quality. But most of the time I'm travelling and can't deal with that much mass. I've got a Nikon F, and a couple Pentax Spotmatics (that I can't focus well anymore), and my wife's Rebel Ti, but I don't consider them "big and chunky". The R8, _that was_ "big and chunky" and the lenses weighed a ton, but I sold them. Having the greatest camera and lenses on earth sitting on a shelf is of no importance to me, I need to be comfortable carrying them on my person walking around all day.

Lack of precise near-far parallax control.

Lack of precision framing.

Extreme difficulty of seeing converging/diverging verticals.

Difficulty of aligning the camera parallel to the ground with wide angle lenses.

Difficulty of focussing on fast moving objects.

Extended photography in the portrait orientation (terrible ergonomics when held vertically).

Using it with wide angle lenses.

I don't like changing film much.

I do like the M though despite all this, but I agree with Ben Z about its particular virtues.

Robin Smith

For the shooting a rangefinder camera is well suited for my m system hasn't really let me down, except in price and not because I don't thing the system isn't worth the investment. I would really like more money to get those lux's I think I need. I usually always carry a pentax mx camera fitted with a short telephoto and a longer 200mm with me along with my m setup (these are small lenses and a small camera so the weight isn't too tiring. Serves me quite well for those times I want more reach. Operator error has screwed things up for me with both cameras enough but I don't blame the cameras, just the broken computer behind the viewfinder.

Not really a gripe with M cameras and lenses, but the realization that with computer-assisted

designs and modern manufacturing, that some rather inexpensive glass is nearly as good. So

good that there have been many times when I couldn't tell what image came from my Leicas.

I guess it's that expectation that if you pay a lot for a lens that you should see a big

difference over the cheaper competition, and that's just not the case any more.

The more I use my M6, the less I want to use my Nikon AF gear. I'd like to have the ease of use of the SLR and AF lenses, but the image quality just is not as good as my Leica. Or, as I told someone recently, "There really is a difference between a one thousand dollar normal lens and a one hundred dollar lens". Some people claim they can't see it, but I've been doing this since I was a pre-teen (with real cameras - thanks, Dad), and this camera line is so good the results sometimes amaze me.

I think I want a bumper sticker for my dented Chrysler minivan: "Ask me about my aspheric Summicron". I made a living shooting; this is the first time in many years that it has been fun. For me this is like skiing is for others, I don't want to use typical SLR pro gear any more. I don't shoot subject matter that requires anything else, so I don't feel the letdown.

No disappointments at all as long as you stay within the M's "core competancy" (to borrow a current phrase). I would say that the M system's area of strength are somewhat limited, compared to an SLR. However, within that area, I have no regrets.

One thing to think about -- not everyone adapts well to the direct viewing and floating frameline of a rangefinder. Some find composition much easier to interpret mentally and visually on a focusing screen. No one's opinion but yours matters on that point.

• 3 weeks later...
I own 2 cameras (I don't consider my Digilux I a camera), a Leica M3 and a Hasselblad 503 CW. My M3 has never let me down. But, the learning curve with the 'blad cost me 3 rolls of carefully shot film while on vacation because I loaded it backwards. I said to myself, "That does it. Next time the 'blad stays home and the M3 goes with!" Ironically, the digital pictures are the only ones I have from that trip. Live n' learn, live n' learn...

The only thing I don't like about my M bodies is the weight when I'm shooting those self portraits with the 15mm Heliar. The lightweight little Bessa L is much easier to hand hold at arms length. If it had M bayonet instead of LTM I'd probably use it on those occasions I use my Visoflex II-S also, because it does have an accurate exposure meter which would be ideal for 400mm telephoto shots as well as extreme close-ups with extension tubes.