TechniPan Film

friendly1

Hi all... I live in the UK and for some reason Kodak no longer

maufacture what was called TechniPan Pro. over here but I understand

that it is still available over in the States.Could someone please

advise me as to a possible supplier of the film... what developer is

used and where to obtain in the States. I am considering using the

film for Astrophotography because of the superior resolution.

Any tips regarding its use would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

They are not making it anymore and from what I understand when the stock runs out, that is it.

B+H still has some 4x5 and 8x10 sheet film, but they ran out of smaller sizes a while back

You might want to check out Copex, Imagelink and gigabit film from J+C. I am sure it is sold there also.

http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=96

Regarding Copex. Copex film was made by Agfa. With the exit of Agfa from chemical photography, Copex may run out. Frugalphotographer.com

used to sell Agfa Copex Rapid A.H.U in 16mm 66meter bulk and 35mm bulk

but that was discontinued last year, replaced with Bluefire Police 35mm and 16mm bulk. Bluefire Police film is made by Tura.

Frederick, <p>

You may wish to check out Lumicon. <p>

http://www.lumicon.com/nhyf.htm <p>

They still sell plain Techpan AND hypered versions!

A bit expensive but ready to serve your interests in AStronomy.

Kodak's suggestion to me was to switch to Tmax 100. The resolution is nearly as good, but red sensitivity etc is different compared to Techpan.

I have an ample supply of stockpiled Tech Pan but I have experimented with alternatives. One is Kodak Imagelink HQ film in 35mm sprocketed size. Last year I bnought a case of it (in the US) and shared 18 of the rolls with fellow photo.netters at cost. It has a different spectral sensitivity from Tech Pan so ytou could always experiment with the use of filters if you are after that effect. As far as grain and sharpness are concerned the HQ film is quite good. I have developed it in dilute Clayton CS but dilute Microphen or DD-X should work as well. You did not mention which format you use. I obtained some long rols of 105mm wide microfilm. These were cut down for me and spooled onto 120 size spools with the proper backing paper. Film For Classics did the work for me. I sent them both Imagelink HQ and the slightly faster Imagelink FS.

If you are just looking for a way to make nice enlargements then try Ilford Pan F+ in 35mm of 120 size. It is quite good.

Jeff, you mentioned Clayton CS for developing Imagelink.<p>

What is Clayton CS, how does it compares with another Clayton fine grain developer F76 ?

Does the Clayton CS creates any fog on the Imagelink negative ?

I test several strips of Techpan in F76, the fog level is quite

high. F76 probably is not the right developer for TP.

http://www.8x11film.com/spur/orthopan.html

"Mit dem neuen SPUR Orthopan UR ".

Apparently, this Orthopan is

something new for x811film and it is not Copex, not Imagelink,

Because on SPUR photo website

http://www.spur-photo.com/ SPUR Orthopan UR is mentioned along side

Agfa Copex Rapid:

" Kodak Technical Pan, Agfa Copex Rapid, Kodak Imagelink HQ oder SPUR

Orthopan UR"

The SPUR Orthopan was recently reported in Feb issue of Carl Zeiss news letter of 400 lpmm with Biogon lens.

This "neue SPUR Orthopan" is better than Imagelink. As Zeiss reported 400 lpmm result with Gigabitfilm and Orthopan, never with Imagelink, Copex, Techpan.

Clayton CS is a phenidone based powder form film developer. It does not have especially good keeping qualities. If there is any air in a partially used bottle the ph changes and it becomes much too strong. I used it successfully for a few different films including Ilford Delta 400 and, with more dilution, Kodak Imagelink HQ. Some of my photos done with CS are in back issues of CameraShopper magazine. I did not notice fog with the CS when it was used with Imagelink. You must use fresh fixer with this film and rinse it thoroughly. If the film looks pink or purple or has a haze over it then fixing and rinsing were not done properly. I have much more experience with Clayton F60. The F76 is supposed to have lower contrast and to be a more modern formula. It may not be as easy for you to get Clayton products in the UK and that's why I mentioned Microphen and DD-X. You might also try these film in dilute Agfa Rodinal (soon to be available again from A&O), Calbe R09 or Fomadon F09.