120 in a changing bag?

geophile

I'm just getting into developing my own film, having had some success

with a roll of 35mm recently. Now I'm wondering if it will be at all

convenient to load a roll of 120, (with having to remove paper

backing) in a changing bag, or if it's best to find/make a darkroom.

It seems like it would be very cumbersome without a darkroom, but if

it can be reasonably manageable in a large-ish changing bag, that

would be great. Thanks.

I haven't tried it in a changing bag, but working with 120 isn't much different from 35mm in terms of just handling it- maybe easier. It's not any harder to remove the paper strip than it is to trim the 35mm off the spool. I've had trouble getting 120 to go on the plastic reels without jumping off, but that would be same problem in or out of a darkroom.

Loading a 120 reel in a changing bag is very possible.

Having said that, I find that the 120 loading process is more challenging than that for a 35 mm film. Most 120 reels have a tensioned clip under which you need to place one end of the roll. The trick is how to place the film under the clip such that it is straight. The other challenging part is avoiding buckling or scratching the film as you load it. Again, this is a bit harder with 120 film.

Definitely a task to be practiced with the lights on with a spare roll of film before attempting the changing bag.

Not a problem. I load Jobo 2502's with 35mm and 2x 120 rolls in a Photoflex Changing Room - basically a big changing bag with a semi-rigid frame. The biggest pain I've found is removing the tape that holds the end of the film to the backing, and that's only because I prefer peeling it off to cutting it. Also, 120's easier to load in a bag because it doesn't tend to twist as much as 135. The backing peels away from the film separately, so it's never really much of a factor.

I second the motion about the Photoflex Changing Room. Every time I load 120, I use this. Having said this, let me also suggest getting some Ultra reels (Sometimes called Easy Load). They have very wide flanges on the sides (about 3/4" instead of the 1/8" on Paterson reels). These Ultra reels make loading 120 a real snap. I also have a NOVA film loader that holds the reel parallel to the film roll.

Between these three devices, developing 120 is super easy. I got my NOVA device at a camera store in Dexter, MI, but you will have to check the NOVA site in UK to see about which I am talking.

If you use plastic reels , I would also suggest .....Samigon Multi-Format Autofeed Reel

Mfr# ESA325 B&H# SAR.

I got a couple of these from B&H and they work very well for 120. They have a wide flange,(much wider than Patterson) to guide the film onto the reel without hassle. I also dry the reel with a small hair-dryer to eliminate any moisture. Good luck

I find it easier to load 120 film on a SS tank in a changing bag than 35mm. Removing the paper is easy. As you start rollong down the film, hold the paper in one hand and the spool in the other. If you pull down the paper and let the spool roll in your hand, the film will roll back automatically behind the spool. When you get to the tape attaching the film to the paper, remove the paper from the tape, not the film. The tape is very strongly attached to the film, and it would be a pain to remove it, like Rob said, so what I do is after removing the backing paper and throwing it to one side of the changing bag, I just fold the tape over the edge of the film and stick it there. Then I always start loading the spool with the taped side.