Does kodak make the tmax 100 with a more purple acetate than before?

mcsimard

Thank you all for your responses.I don't personally use TMX myself but I sell it at the photography store where I work. We offer the service of processing b&w films to our clients but we don't process them in our lab. We've been sending those films to another professionnal lab in Montreal. Lately, the TMX films, especially in the 120 format, have come back to us looking very magenta. The prints are very good though. I was wondering if the lab was at fault or if the film had changed recently.Any comments?

"New TMX" was released in 2004 if my memory serves right. Some people reported a difference in dev times and a harder to get rid of cast. I didn't really noticed a change, but this may well be the cause of what you're observing.<br>

It's also possible that the lab use a different dev process, which doesn't totally remove the magenta/purple tint. There's nothing wrong with this, as you have noticed it doesn't affect prints in a noticeable way.

It may be that the sensitizing or antihalation dye are more difficult to remove. To see if it is in the base or the gelatin, use chlorine bleach full strength to remove the emulsion from a scrap of film. I don't think the color will come out if it is in the base, but certainly will if it is in the gelatin.

Dear Marie-Claude:

I've been processing T-Max since it came out and I can confirm that in 2004, the purple dye increased in concentration dramatically.

Having said that, I've found that increased fixing and increased washing removes it almost entirely. I've increased fixing times (in Kodak hardening fixer) to 10 minures from 4 minutes and wash times to 10 minutes from 5 minutes. Your times may vary as water conditions will probably vary.

Good Luck,

Jim