tan_tien_yun

Hello, I've recently added Plus X to my repeitore of films, but I'm

currently having problems with its inherent high contrast. I noticed

if I even over exposed by 1 stop, all the highlights gets massively

blocked.

I use rodinal (1:25) for most of the stuff, as I like to standardized

dilutions all across the board for most of my films, but due to this

film characteristic, I thought of perhaps diluting the dev up to 1:50

or 1:100 to control highlights and reduce the contrast.

Any thoughts on this? (P.S: I need to utilize the film at it's

current box iso, otherwise I'll be wincing for shutter speed..)

Dear Tan,

Pictorial films with "inherently high contrast" are a photographic myth. Development (developer/time/temperature/agitation) controls film contrast. Your highlights are "blocked up" because of some combination of overexposure, overdevelopment and printing technique. You may be able to print the negatives you have using a softer paper.

I've been working for about a year with Plus-X (ASA125) using Kodak's HC110 (B dilution). I give my film a pre-soak in water for 4-5 minutes first. The development is 5 min. @ 68 deg. F with an initial gentle agitation for the first 30 sec, then 6 inversions/minute thereafter. Dump the developer 10 seconds before the development time expires. No problems with blocked highlights. Good luck.

I assume you want to stay with Rodinal, but in case you are willing to try something else I can sugest you Paterson Aculux 2 with this film. It is amazing how great tonal scale you can get with this combination.<br><br>

For more details and examples you can look at my article <a href="http://www.piskoftak.com/article/films_and_developers/">Films and Developers</a> under section Normal sensitivity film.

<br><br>

--<br>

richard vanek<br>

<a href="http://www.piskoftak.com/">www.piskoftak.com</a>

TY

Plus X can deliver over 10 stops of exposure without blocking up if you use a compensating developer, such as POTA (Search these archives for info) or split D23. PX & POTA was first used to take pictures of atomic bomb blasts with VERY bright highlights, to say the least. The ability of the film to differentiate highlights with the appropriate development is almost unparalled.

Cheers

I feel exactly the same way about this film. It is one of the first films I ever used in 35mm and after going through TMX, FP4+, and yes even a couple dozen rolls of Chinese Lucky Pan 100, I've stocked up on a 100' bulk roll of the stuff. Rodinal 1+25 is probably a bit much for this film though, so you might want to try something else. Agfa's development times for an EI of 125 will give you a contrast index of .65. Kodak's development recommendations will generally result in a contrast index of .55, a much more gradual slope on the graph. I like to pair this film with either D-76 or XTOL, both diluted at least 1+1.

Here's a link to Agfa's tech sheet for B&W developers:

http://www.agfaphoto.com/en-GB/photography/professional-photography/photo-chemicals/bw-film-processing/downloads/C-SW16-E17.pdf

...and Kodak's tech pub for Plus-X:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f4018/f4018.pdf

You guys really should study this stuff, 'cause it will tell you everything you need to know.

You're quite right, the Agfa times are for a contrast index that is far too high. IMO, Rodinal is a poor choice for a 35mm developer, though it can work well for larger formats. It can produce an upswept curve that gives either tough to print highlights, or depressed midtones. Not to mention an obtrusive grain pattern. It has its own "look" that can be quite useful under certain conditions, and has some benefits with t-grained films, but for general purpose use, there are better choices that people have listed above. I'd start with d-76, which I prefer undiluted for Plus-x.