it on a roll of film. I placed a section of unexposed film into the

diluted (1:1) developer before I loaded the reel. I figured if the

XTOL was exhausted I would use a bottle from the fresh batch. At any

rate, the unexposed film was black after I finished loading the

reels. I then proceeded to develop the roll with the nearly 13 month

old XTOL. The resulting negatives are as good as those developed in

fresh XTOL. I think this is proof that at the very least my chemical

storage method is working. I don't recommend this as a standard

practice but it is nice to know it is possible.

Until the last Silver Halide Crystal is extinct. RO

I wouldn't call it proof, but it is a good sign. Your method could have a 95% failure rate and you could have gotten the lucky 5%. :) Still, it certainly points to the validity of your storage method.

The longevity issues seem to be based in iron in the water, so the use of filtered tap water in some locales may not be that successful unless the filtering mechanism eliminates all iron.

For me XTOL lasts easily 12 months in dark plastic bottles filled to the top. I read a lot about other?s problems with XTOL storage, but I have to say it works fine for me.. maybe I have been very lucky? :-)

Regards,

<br><br>

Philip Pankov <br>

<a href="http://www.PhilPankov.com/">Pictures of Ireland</a> - Fine Art Black & White Photography of Ireland

This is a clip test as known in the industry. When dealing with small volumns, it is invalid as there may be enough capacity to do a short film, but not a full roll.

Kodak has told me there is no reliable home test to tell if Xtol is good or bad. Now need a large tank, control strips, and a densitimeter. I`m back to home made D76.

Thank you for the note Robert, as I was just eyeballing a few bottles of xtol in the basement, with some suspicion, and I know they are not six months old.

What's a fella supposed to do with five liters of Xtol, especially when you gotta dilute the stuff? Will somebody please call Kodak and tell them . . .ah, never mind.

There actually was an XTOL problem in the past, but it was the small packets not the 5L size... Anyway, that has long ago been cured... There will still be failures for the unfortunate photographer who has bad water, or who overheats his water when dissolving the powder (problems for any powder developer)... Use distilled water for mixing the stock solution, use your thermometer for the heating process, and you will not have a problem...

denny - who has the worlds worst tap water - it will gag you just running in the sink...