Another Crackdown on "Evil" Photographers

gsphotoguy

The Home News Tribune, a Gannett Newspaper in Central New Jersey,

published an <a href="http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?

AID=/20050815/NEWS01/508150381/1005/NEWS01">article today on NJ

Transit proposed rules on photographing trains.</a> Not only would

permits be required but you would need to notify NJ Transit 24 hours

in advance that you will be out photographing.

Meanwhile, the authorities will let cameraphone users photograph whatever they like, without question. If you were a terrorist, would you carry a big 35mm SLR or a medium format camera on a tripod, or a sly little camera phone? So what is the authorities real motive here?

If Homeland Security and local law enforcement really wanted to "CYA" and protect

their transportation assets, they would encourage photography AND place web cams

everywhere to monitor activity! The light of day and thousands of eyes will do more to

ensure safety, IMHO.

I suspect that the main concern is not "security" but the fact that someone with an SLR who doesn't look like a tourist may be making money from shots of the trains or transit system. I have been in places where I was told that I could not photograph without permission when a few feet away people were snapping away with their camera phones.

Interesting contrast with here in the UK. Our obsession is with paedophiles rather than terrorists. Street photography is in danger of being stopped by vigilantes, with warning notices about perverts with cameras in every public park. But when the recent terrorist bombs went off in London, suddenly the police were appealing for camera phone shots and videos and suddenly these same people previously vilified, were found useful. I suspect they simply want to appear to be taking steps against "threats" and confuse action with effectivness.

These laws and directives are making photography exciting again. You can now feel good about yourself when at the end of the day you know you got the picture. With all those auto-everything digital wundercameras everything was so very much within the grasp of even the lamest of wimps. Now only men and manly women that are up to a bit of a challenge can play. Just like it used to be. The bar has been raised and only the most dedicated and motivated will get their shots: less rubbish to wade through for the viewers...

Pity the poor "uninformed" tourist who suddenly is confronted with authorities and threatened with equipment confiscation and/or arrest. This gets back to my point, we should be doing the opposite, let anyone photograph anything anytime. Simply encourage photography. After all if something does happen who will the NJ Transit go to for images? Themselves? They certainly can't apply to the people with the cameras they prohibited.

Don't folks get it that security and freedom aren't mutually exclusive terms of a democracy? We're doing exactly what the terrorist want, feel so paranoid and security-minded we'll forget about civil liberties and other freedoms this country was founded on. Sorry, I'll park the soapbox.

Hmmm...

A friend of mine, who is the owner of the largest publishing house in my country, visited NYC last year. He was apprehended for taking a picture of a Brooklyn bridge and interrogated for 13 hours. I don't think he will be coming back to US any time soon.

Yeah this is no joke. A few months ago I was taking some train shots at a nearby NJ Transit station when an engineer actually brought his train to a slow roll just so he could inform me that what I was doing was illegal and the cops would arrest me. Now I'm not one to habitually complain about law enforcement and its regulations but I mean come on.... I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at the NJ Transit board meeting that decided this would be logical and meaningful way to confront terrorism. At least the NYC subway authorities pulled their head out of their ass at the last minute and allowed common sense to penetrate their brains.

Holy.... whew!!!! I don't believe it... someone wake me up! I simply don't believe it! Really, it's so absurd... well, what the heck, the mental patients are running the mental asylum!

What is going on in this nation? Have all elected officials and all uniformed peace officers gone crazy?

Orwell predicted this... (and the sky is falling....) (No further comments... I might have my computer and telephone "bugged" and I might find myself in some hidden prison with no communication to the outside world)

Hey, all of you with cameras and complaining about this government's stupidity, beware! (Sheesh, how ridiculous can this get?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

<p>Having a radio scanner a few weeks back when there was some steam power in Phillipsburg NJ, I was along a trail that went down to the river, used for those who would go fishing. As the consists would pass, the crew radioed that I was a trespasser, but that I was in the clear. Armed security actually were keeping a very close eye on me. <br>

While taking photos of some old Reading RR signals in a Center Valley, PA park last year, an employee at a school bus terminal called the police, saying I was a homeless person snooping around. The police stated they had to respond, and I voiced my understanding, then said that some people just need to mind their own business. In both events, I showed my ID and offered them a copy of the photographer's rights. The ID was all the officers were interested in.<br>

This very topic of "evil photographers" was covered in Railpace, and it was recommended that ANY photographer carry a copy of photographers rights and ID with you at all times.<br>

Watch out for us phototerrorists. Fair to say, in both cases, the actual officers treated me fairly and professionally. The rest of the public... that could be debated.<br>

Go here to read more and download a copy of photographer's rights.<br>

<a href="http://www.kantor.com/blog/2005/12/legal-rights-of-photographers/">http://www.kantor.com/blog/2005/12/legal-rights-of-photographers/</a></p>