What makes a great picture, better than a good picture?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Art doesn't reproduce what's visible, it makes new thinks visible", said Paul Klee

Really. I think he's work is amazingly boring.Just an opinion...someone with pockets full of money liked him.

it makes new thinks visible", Sort of like a fairy at the bottom of your garden.

"Alfred Stieglitz Steerage

With all due respects to him don't you think the posted snap...well, just a snap. My old

gran could have done just as well.

"Art doesn't reproduce what's visible, it makes new thinks visible", said Paul Klee"

I enjoyed seeing the Jackson Pollack canvases in the biopic of the same name. Then I saw

the paintings were credited to a union local in the Bronx. And, sure, my kid could do that,

etc. But Pollack made the first drip painting before anyone else thought of it. And the

Steerage was a statement that photography could stand on its own feet as just as effective

an artmaking tool as painting or sculpture. But no one before Stieglitz, including Stieglitz

himself, wo started his career as a dedicated pictorialist, had made genre photos that

spoke in the language of modernism. That was the contribution of the Steerage. Of course,

today, many of us less-talented or prescient workers make very sophisticated snapshots.

But we are toiling in a vineyard much cultivated and explored before we got there.

"And the Steerage was a statement that photography could stand on its own feet as just as effective an artmaking tool as painting or sculpture."

That's an interesting view point but let's see what Alfred, himself had to say about the image.

http://www.artsmia.org/art_in_america/17_4.html

The scene fascinated me: A round straw hat; the funnel leaning left, the stairway leaning right; the white drawbridge, its railings made of chain; white suspenders crossed on the back of a man below; circular iron machinery; a mast that cut into the sky, completing a triangle. I stood spellbound for a while. I saw shapes related to one another - a picture of shapes, and underlying it, a new vision that held me: simple people; the feeling of ship, ocean, sky; a sense of release that I was away from the mob called "rich." (Quoted in Dorothy Norman, Alfred Stieglitz: An American Seer (Middleton, N.Y.: Aperture, 1973) p. 76.)

"a picture of shapes, and underlying it, a new vision that held me: simple people; the

feeling of ship, ocean, sky; a sense of release that I was away from the mob called "rich."

Quite a realization for Stieglitz. He is recalled as a rather proud and hidebound man. As he

lay suffering a heart attack at his gallery in NYC, he saw visitors but would not seek

medical care.

There's so many ways you could read Stieglitz' statement. The phrase simple people

sounds quaint and almost colonial. Stieglitz had money and was well-established in NYC

as a printer. He walked away from business (after being given to understand that he'd have

to print some jobs for free to keep his clients) with a condescending sneer: "While I respect

both the Lawyer and the Policeman, I prefer other company."

The 'mob called rich' was the smug culture he was born to, or maybe bred for. The

aquisitive, striving immigrant population that had managed to get out of Europe with their

money. Stieglitz was as deeply flawed as gifted a character, and thus subject to the usual

blindnesses, malaprops, and difficulties in understanding and explaining his own

experiences and views.

picture of shapes, and underlying it, a new vision that held me: simple people; the feeling of ship, ocean, sky; a sense of release that I was away from the mob called "rich."

A snap. You are creating a fairy story based on the banal.

It lacks creativity, vision, and form and shape.

A simple snap......get real.

Anyone could have taken it, and probably everyone did.

I fall in love with it. It refreshes me. It renews in me the hope that, as I grow, life just gets more and more lovely.

How refreshing to hear such honest thoughts.

And of course it's about developing that third eye to seek those hidden places which are perceived by the very few.

I call it ?looking around corners?.

But we are toiling in a vineyard much cultivated and explored before we got there.

Really, i don't think so. Time moves on and photography...and everything else.

Unfortunately most folks are hide bound in their ideas clinging to the past.......is that not the story of the majority of humanity.

Innovation is generally condemned as it does not follow the conventions of the times; have a little think the majority of those innovator folk, in any field, died in poverty.

Conservative is the name of the game in this world....folks like the word because they do not like change.

Only by innovation has/does humanity moved forward.

photo or any piece of art could be great on some speciphic way and the cant compare with each other, Picasso is great? Rembrant is greta? i think they are both great but on diferent way,thats the same with photography,Douglas Keller , aug 03, 2005; 01:24 a.m.

A great picture makes me want to be a better person. I fall in love with it. It refreshes me. It renews in me the hope that, as I grow, life just gets more and more lovely. i like what Douglas Keller said

above "A great picture makes me want to be a better person. I fall in love with it. It refreshes me. It renews in me the hope that, as I grow, life just gets more and more lovely".

and definately you have to feel emotion,to make you to think about it

"and time clearly is a part of it or everything would be static, right?"

Wrong. Why? Cause time is a concept that doesn't exist anywhere else except in the mind of humans to mark their existance. Prior to calenders, there wasn't even the concept of the continuum, just the reality of the sun rising and setting and folks not knowing why. Take the human concept of time out of the equation and time ceases to exist but the universe will continue as there's only the continuum.

Humans can be so egocentric:)