XRAY FOG ?

jtk

Theory and urban legend aside, has anyone ACTUALLY SEEN ANY film

fogged in travel?

Is this common? (I've not traveled much since 2002).

What countries/airports are KNOWN to be trouble?

Is it true that slow film is less succeptible to Xray fog than fast

film...doesn't seem sensible, since film speed relates to light...

I had a couple of rolls of 120 that picked up some strange fogging, in the highlights. I flew from Las Vegas to Vancouver a few years ago. The film was in the carry on and on board the plane. The highlight areas wound up with a light fog that were light enough that it created strange patterns in the sky. I don't have a scan, but may be able to provide one if people want.

D.

I've never had any evidence of X-Ray fog and I've always let my film go through the carry-on machine, sometimes a half dozen times on one trip and who knows how many times total if some of that film came home unused and was taken on subsequent trips.

Why take chances? You travel all that way and hopefully get some shots that will make the trip memorable and your friends, neighbors (even clients) go "ooooh-ahhhhh". I always carry my film in an xray-proof container or pouch (in a carryon). There is no telling what they will be using in the future on checked baggage.

I have, only once. It wasn't mine, it was my sister's, and it was the ISO 800 rolls only. I suspect that it was fogged where she got it developed, but the difference between how she packed her film and mine is that I bury my film within my clothes; they say it doesn't help, but I've never had a problem.

several rolls of Fuji 400 were fogged out right after 9/11 at

Heathrow. The brits were edgy and I suspect they had the Xray

scanners on maximum. The result: fogged carry on film. since

then, most of my film has been hand inspected as I come early

and have a "token" role of ASA 1600 in each ziplock bag!

Albert

Lots of "hearsay" but little ( if any ) "here see".

Travelled a lot and never had a problem with any film ( unexposed or exposed ) BUT it was always as carry on not checked luggage and never any above 800asa.

Have checked recently - twice in UK and once in Portugal and told that they would happily hand inspect if I had film of 1600asa or more. So you can avoid this risk if you want to.

Be early and be polite just to make things easier.

I think maybe if I took 1600asa or higher I would not only ask for a hand inspection but ( just to avoid any "possible" high altitude radiation problem ) I would put it into an x-ray safe bag after I was through the security check (double insurance).

Andy - I think you read my posting back to front. I was saying that there was lots of "hearsay" about it being a problem and little if any actual evidence.

What they are looking for basically ( as I understand it ) is explosives and they will take the roll/cartridge out of the canister/plastic lidded container and check it with their equipment ( cannot remember what it is called offhand) .

<i>several rolls of Fuji 400 were fogged out right after 9/11 at Heathrow. The brits were

edgy and I suspect they had the Xray scanners on maximum.</i><br><br>

Isn't the idea that these X-ray scanners can be 'turned up to maximum' one of the urban

myths that the original poster was hoping to avoid. How do you know that the rolls in

question weren't fogged at the lab?

I'm with those who have travelled on numerous occasions in recent years and have yet to see

any evidence of fogging caused by putting film through the carry-on baggage scanners.

This thread may be representative, may indicate X-ray fogging isn't as big a problem as was once thought...

...this is, after all, a Leica Forum: most of us surely flew with film through international airports in the years after 9/11.

What's the purpose of "token" rolls of 1600 in various ziploc bags? A test for fogging, like a canary in the mine?

Idea: if fogging is feared, maybe it'd be helpful if all traveling film was pushed a stop to increase contrast...